Baby BMW Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
By far the biggest factor for me was..... POSTCODE.

I'm 28 - lived in London for 5 years with no car and left to move to Warick with a CV37 postcode.

I've had a license for 11 years, never had a ticket or penalty but did have 4 years no claims which they are honouring.

I've taken my first year out for £440 and £230 on a Fiesta 1.0 - there is a multi car discount but £670 for two cars at 28 is mental. My 58 year old dad wasn't getting much cheaper quotes. London was quoting me at £1200+.

I've got the following mods added on the insurance too - I wanted to be squeaky clean and no little white lies. The car is listed as on a driveway, used for commuting and 12k miles a year, with Occupation as Chartered Accountant.

Model - BMW M140I SHAD
Level of Cover - Comprehensive
Modifications
Exhaust/manifold-non standard
Suspension lowered (<5cm)
Parking assist (optional extra)
Brakes - uprated
Filters (non standard)

This makes me sound super old, but at 21 I don't know how you are running M140's - I could barely get decent insurance on a 52 plate 62BHP Vauxhall Corsa, let alone this B58 Rocket ahahah!

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting quotes for just short of 2k for me and my wife on my 69 plate M140i. I've got an accident that wasn't a fault claim and my wife crashed my old car this December. Even if i take my wife off my insurance i'm still getting quotes for £1'500. I'm 31 and my wife is 29. I've got 12 years no claims.

Am i doing something wrong?!

· Registered
2,030 Posts
Having seen so many examples of quotes over years it seems to me that aside ncb and age, the biggest single factor is location. Also, there's every chance you are being loaded to a degree given that you've been involved in a no-fault claims, as I believe that statistically this puts you in a higher risk group.

But I'd guess age and location are the biggest factors here. I'm 62, have 20 years plus no claims, low mileage, and live in a quiet suburb with low crime stats. But because that suburb in part of a metropolitan city, I still end up paying 515, whereas previous research has shown a 30 per cent difference if I lived in a neighbouring borough.

In common with a good number here I'm with Chris Nott - they are a forum sponsor and will reduce your quote by a further 10 per cent

· Registered
2,963 Posts
I have just re-insured my bike and the premium was unaffected by the non-fault crash I had last year. Interestingly, when the front of my car got hit in a car park and I couldn't find the culprit; I had the front of my car repaired at the same time as the big shunt to the back at my cost- £2k. The bike insurer knew about the big shunt, as I had reported it. BMW must have informed the insurance data-base about the front end, as I hadn't declared it to my insurer as I was paying for it.

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,073 Posts
Postcode is everything. It used to be double if I used my old postcode just half a mile away, but mine is reasonable now.

Reactions: moulin12

· Registered
22 Posts
I'm getting quotes for just short of 2k for me and my wife on my 69 plate M140i. I've got an accident that wasn't a fault claim and my wife crashed my old car this December. Even if i take my wife off my insurance i'm still getting quotes for £1'500. I'm 31 and my wife is 29. I've got 12 years no claims.

It will be your accident I'd imagine, even though not at fault. I had a 335i that our au pair decided to drive into, insurance went up from £500 to £1200 with the next renewal.

· Registered
2,963 Posts
It will be your accident I'd imagine, even though not at fault. I had a 335i that our au pair decided to drive into, insurance went up from £500 to £1200 with the next renewal.
Laddington, see my post, 2 posts previous. No change to my bike insurance for 2 non fault, non claims. See what happens when my car insurance is due in April :)

Reactions: laddington

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,073 Posts
I had a none fault accident on my e81. It did increase insurance but only by £80 a year. Postcode makes a huge difference.

OP, try the quotes but put a safer postcode in and the results will surprise you.

· Registered
322 Posts

No. I'm the same mate. £1,500 with Adrian Flux is the cheapest i can get. 8 Years NCB but POSTCODE is shocking.

· Registered
135 Posts
I renewed recently for £184.17 fully comp with Liverpool Victoria. The best thing you can do Tom is buy a normally aspirated pink 600cc Ford Ka with a lean burn restricted engine that maxes out around 35bhp at the crank, drive it around for the next 4 years and build some no claims.
I'm 63 and truth is, statistically you are likely to become a safer, more conscientious driver over the next 4 years, whilst my insurance will start to climb back up again as the insurance companies will start to perceive me as a coffin-dodging liability and a road hazard. I figure that maybe in 4 years time, we could do a swapsy . . . I'll give you my low mileage 140 manual in exchange for the pink Ka with a few quid either way and we'll both be happy!! :lol2:

· Registered
10 Posts
Insurance (for me at least) seems to be cheaper than last year with several other brokers. I’m currently with Flux but won’t be renewing with them as the 35 quid admin fee for even the slightest change is unacceptable and there is no option to make any changes online for free like other insurers. I’ve had good quotes from Aviva this year so maybe worth a look.

· Registered
22 Posts
Insurance (for me at least) seems to be cheaper than last year with several other brokers. I’m currently with Flux but won’t be renewing with them as the 35 quid admin fee for even the slightest change is unacceptable and there is no option to make any changes online for free like other insurers. I’ve had good quotes from Aviva this year so maybe worth a look.
I'm with Aviva, recommend them. I like that you can do pretty much everything online without charge, and was very pleasantly surprised to see swapping from an M140i to an M4 was only £50 more a year with them.

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,073 Posts
Also been with Aviva the last 2 years, very competitive for me.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts