Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm 21 years old and got a 17 plate m140i in April. I paid £300 extra for my insurance premium (only 3 months left) which worked out at an average of about £2k. I have now got quotes on compare the market and they are coming in at £3k and it seems the car is costing me more and more by the day.

I was wondering if anyone knows any good insurance companies for cheap quotes on cars such as the M lites?

Really love the car but starting to have enough of paying out for things.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

· Registered
2,908 Posts
Hi, have you tried BMW insurance? I got my insurance through Chris Knott who advertise on here (mention this site!). They knocked £30 off BMW but I had to show them the BMW like for like quote.

· Registered
26 Posts
I was 22 when i bought my m140i in march and i managed to get insured for £922 with admiral. Excess was £1,000 and annual mileage was 15K. I have 1 years no claims and had my dad on the policy aswell.

What postcode area are you?

· Registered
33 Posts
TBunny21 said:
Hi Guys,

I'm 21 years old and got a 17 plate m140i in April. I paid £300 extra for my insurance premium (only 3 months left) which worked out at an average of about £2k. I have now got quotes on compare the market and they are coming in at £3k and it seems the car is costing me more and more by the day.

I was wondering if anyone knows any good insurance companies for cheap quotes on cars such as the M lites?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
I would suggest trying confused, I'm 20 and get significantly lower quotes on confused than on compare the market. The best I've had was around 1400 compared to £2500 on compare the market!

· Registered
26 Posts
smwill20 said:
TBunny21 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance,

Tom
I would suggest trying confused, I'm 20 and get significantly lower quotes on confused than on compare the market. The best I've had was around 1400 compared to £2500 on compare the market!
Agree, when i was looking to buy i was doing a confused.com quote every day as it varied significantly. One day i would get 1,800 and then a few days later it would go down to £950. If you make an account with them it takes seconds to re-run the quote after you do it the first time.

· Registered
1,747 Posts
Insuring performance cars will always be expensive if you are under 25-27 years old regardless if you don't have any points on the license.

I am 32 and pcheapest quote for the M140i is £700 which is more than what it is for the Golf R, M2 or M4 which were all roughly £640 per year. A 120i would cost me £420 to insure.

Premiums for the M140i could get worse as very cheap PCP deals with tiny deposits results in the wrong or inexperienced drivers buying one and getting into trouble.

· Registered
2,908 Posts
wenklaw said:
Roller said:
Unfortunately BMW wont insure anyone under 25 on the 140. Cars like that will always be expensive to insure, run etc.
BMW insurance are strange. I am 45 with max no claims, car is garaged, 5k miles per annum, low risk occupation, I don't need commuting cover, no modifications, no points or offences, I now live in a low risk postcode (my other car a focus dropped by nearly £100 when I moved recently to just under £260 a year). BMW wont insure my M2 and changing the mileage, where its parked, adding my partner, adding commuting makes no difference, they still wont cover me. They don't even specify I need a tracker fitted, its just a no.
Any company that brings out the F40 has got to be a bit weird :)

· Registered
4,228 Posts
wenklaw said:
Roller said:
Unfortunately BMW wont insure anyone under 25 on the 140. Cars like that will always be expensive to insure, run etc.
BMW insurance are strange. I am 45 with max no claims, car is garaged, 5k miles per annum, low risk occupation, I don't need commuting cover, no modifications, no points or offences, I now live in a low risk postcode (my other car a focus dropped by nearly £100 when I moved recently to just under £260 a year). BMW wont insure my M2 and changing the mileage, where its parked, adding my partner, adding commuting makes no difference, they still wont cover me. They don't even specify I need a tracker fitted, its just a no.
That's strange.

On the other hand, I've just received a massively competitive quote from them, beating the comparison sites but £170 a year.

· Registered
4 Posts
wenklaw said:
They have some strange ideas, they covered me at a good price when I got the 140, a year later, nowhere near competitive.

· Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm 32 and pay £590 for the 140, someone mentioned the bmw insurance being good value so ran a quote and it was £450!! I'll be using them next year if prices continue like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
91 Posts
My current insurer (esure) wanted £900 to insure me for the remaining 6 months of my policy (taking it to nearly £2k). I have recently passed my IAM test on motorcycle and so I rang up IAM Surety and found out they price match the cheapest quote (excluding black box insurance) I can find but with all the features that IAM insurance offers. So that was pretty handy actually as I got a very nice policy much much cheaper than comparable insurers. So if you have done anything like IAM or RoSPA for motorcycle or car definitely worth giving them a ring for their quote and/or price match.

For what its worth I am soon 30 and my insurance for my 420i when it was 3 years old was nearly £1k. With my new 19 plate M140i I got it for about £650 with the insurer mentioned above. So I do think the insurance in general is pretty expensive until you get older, so I am sure you'll notice a big drop in price in a few years and then an even bigger drop when over 30 (at least I hope that will be the case for me haha).

As mentioned by others Chris Knott or Sky Insurance (forum sponsors) would be worth a call and I think they are more mod friendly?

· Registered
83 Posts
Try quotezone.co.uk they are also a comparison site. Flux quoted me £200 less on quotezone than they did through all the usual comparison sites. I then rang my current insurer to see if they could beat the price (which they did). I then gave flux a call who then matched the price but I get extra benefits with flux such as no extra cost to add non performance related mods.

· Registered
46 Posts
I'm 23 and insured with Admiral for £1400 this is with 0 ncb and 1 fault accident with mods delcared on a 2016 m140i (stage 1 / remus catback / exterior decorative changes)

Quite high compared to others but good considering I lost my 3 years no claims and now have a fault accident.

There is literally no car theft in my local area, car is garaged, 5k miles a year as I have a daily driver for work etc..

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RA23 said:
Try quotezone.co.uk they are also a comparison site. Flux quoted me £200 less on quotezone than they did through all the usual comparison sites. I then rang my current insurer to see if they could beat the price (which they did). I then gave flux a call who then matched the price but I get extra benefits with flux such as no extra cost to add non performance related mods.
Thank you mate

· Registered
248 Posts
The problem is insurance quotes are so personalised. I'm 22 with 5 years NCB, no points and pay about £1k. Alot of 'performance' specific insurance companies wouldn't insure as i hadn't had the car for a year at renewal. Just keep shopping.

Also, i feel if you constantly keep using comparison sites they know you are looking :lol2: call up some places and see if they can work on it.

· Registered
83 Posts
TBunny21 said:
RA23 said:
Thank you mate
I would also recommend trying directline and aviva through their own websites as they arent on comparison sites. Directline were 2nd cheapest for me.

· Registered
4,228 Posts
I ended up getting no via Chris Knott for mine a they beat the BMW price. They were really good at trying to better the price.

· Registered
3,263 Posts
wenklaw said:
Roller said:
They won't insure me either on mine.....

Reason given - i didn't have a tracker. I ended up getting a multicar policy with my wife's Mini cooper S roadster with both cars for £680.....

Worth trying if you have other cars as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts