Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2019 M140i 2 weeks ago, traded in an Abarth 595.

The Abarth was great fun, but just too "jiggly" and unpredictable on the road for me aged 65. In comparison, the M140i drives like a limo, apart from being slightly "bouncy" at the rear end at low speeds. It's perfectly fine on the open road, but in 30 and 40 limits, the vertical pitching is a bit uncomfortable, so I'm looking at the options.

From what I can make out, there are 3 commonly recommended paths:

Replace the rear springs with a pair from an M135i
Replace all 4 corners with B12s
Take the car to Birds, and get their custom setup fitted.

I should make it clear that I'm not one for thrashing the car around the twisties. My reactions just aren't good enough these days.
I bought the M140i as I wanted something a bit more grown up than a hot hatch, less "in your face" than the typical mid-life crisis sports car, and my last chance to drive something small with a 6-pot before giving up and going electric.
It's my intention to keep the M140i for at least 5 years.

What I'm looking for is the best solution to the low speed bounciness, without making the car less comfortable at higher speeds

·
Registered
83 Posts
I found the m140i lacking in so many departments, the suspension and fixed diff is a massive letdown to the B58 platform so i took the car to birds and had the birds B1 suspension set up and spacer kit and I’ve done 1k since they fitted it and it’s night and day difference to stock, at the same time I did underbody rear brace and front strut brace.

The birds kit doesn’t lower the car and I was adamant I didn’t want it lower.

Whilst It was at birds I went down the LSD route another worthwhile option and full titanium Akraprovic exhaust.

It’s only done 6000 miles from new and I’ve ordered x3m so the m140i will be for sale soon or perhaps I should store it away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts