Baby BMW Forum banner

M135i VS Alpina D3 Video (short teaser)

2468 Views 24 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  joezepher
Hey guys,

Hope you all had a great weekend!

I was lucky enough to have a 2016 Alina D3 Touring for 6 days, I have shot hours of footage including a test against my own M135 and my buddies Auto M135i. Full videos to come soon but thought Id share this teaser video in the meantime...

Teaser Video -
Day one with the D3 -
Have a great week
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Joe

Interested to know your views on how the D3 steering and handling felt compared to your LCI m135i

BP
Your first task is to get the price of that digital display, please....
Mike Roberts said:
Your first task is to get the price of that digital display, please....
£650
Danke.
Blind Pugh said:
Joe

Interested to know your views on how the D3 steering and handling felt compared to your LCI m135i

BP
It pains me to say it, the D3's steering and handling is better in every respect, I think the optional LSD and very low profile thicker rubber helps but it really does handle so well. But we must remember we're comparing a £30k car with a £50k car here... Both amazing cars in their own ways :)
Joe,

Understood.

I ask as I had the good fortune to rag a D3 at Goodwood c/o a BMW trackday. Compared to M cars on hand at the time and my own M135i [chassis fettled by Birds and done a few laps at GW] D3 understeered a lot. I've also pedalled a stock, passive M235i round GW, in terms of feel and balance, this was better than the D3 IMHO.

Both D3 and M235i also highlighted how very well setup both M3 and M4 are from the factory.

Hope Synter and plod don't subscribe to your YT channel..... :smile:

BP
Blind Pugh said:
Joe,

Understood.

I ask as I had the good fortune to rag a D3 at Goodwood c/o a BMW trackday. Compared to M cars on hand at the time and my own M135i [chassis fettled by Birds and done a few laps at GW] D3 understeered a lot. I've also pedalled a stock, passive M235i round GW, in terms of feel and balance, this was better than the D3 IMHO.

Both D3 and M235i also highlighted how very well setup both M3 and M4 are from the factory.

Hope Synter and plod don't subscribe to your YT channel..... :smile:

BP
Interesting, did the D3 have a LSD? I really didn't feel much understeer in this one although I didn't get to push it too much on public roads...

Sytner actually asked me to do some videos, most of the sideways clips weren't really provoked, just various times the rear end wanted to play whilst doing hours of filming... But yeah lets hope it doesn't come across as reckless!

Cheers man
Not sure about LSD, it had the black moody looking 20" alloys and I was advised by the BMW chap that understeer was a trait of derv motor and x drive.....

That may make sense as RWD M235i and M cars did drive differently - maybe lighter engine and no transmission hardware upfront makes for better weight distribution and more consistent steering of a RWD, shows more on a track ??

Fair play to you - given that a manufacturer has lent you a £50k+ car and asked you to take some footage about it - you must be doing something right !!!
Joe,

FYI - posted a link to this thread on UK F30post forum - lots of uber-derv fans over there.....

BP
Blind Pugh said:
Joe,

FYI - posted a link to this thread on UK F30post forum - lots of uber-derv fans over there.....

BP
Awesome thanks buddy!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Can imagine what you mean with the shove out of corners as I went in a friend's F31 330d touring the other day and the initial pull felt up there with the 135 even 4 up! Looks like it's much easier to pull small/controllable slides with the LSD in the Alpina too.
MattParker said:
Can imagine what you mean with the shove out of corners as I went in a friend's F31 330d touring the other day and the initial pull felt up there with the 135 even 4 up! Looks like it's much easier to pull small/controllable slides with the LSD in the Alpina too.
Yeah as you say the 330d feels unbelievably strong/effortless low down, imagine an extra 100bhp, 100lb ft of torque and something that revs to 5500 instead of 4300... Throw the LSD in the mix and the D3 is deadly off the line, hence me clocking a 4.16 to 60mph. The LSD and quick steering rack (same as the M135/M235) certainly makes it easy to control in tail happy conditions....
Look forward to the full version. Massive thumbs up on all your videos Joe, have kept me from going mad during the wait until March 1st. Great quality and sensible chat.

Dave
Rag_It said:
Look forward to the full version. Massive thumbs up on all your videos Joe, have kept me from going mad during the wait until March 1st. Great quality and sensible chat.

Dave
Haha cheers man that makes me smile :)

Not long now my friend....
I love your videos Joe thanks, can I be nosey and ask what you do for a living? From memory don't you have a 7 series as well? I'm not sure my local Sytner would lend me a car for 6 days though they did give me an M4 for the day which was fun while my M135i was in for a new gearbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
madbadad said:
I love your videos Joe thanks, can I be nosey and ask what you do for a living? From memory don't you have a 7 series as well? I'm not sure my local Sytner would lend me a car for 6 days though they did give me an M4 for the day which was fun while my M135i was in for a new gearbox

Haha yeah no probs, I'm actually a chauffeur, most if my clients tend to be I'm the fashion industry, high profile models etc... Alpina have always been helpful, I once needed a 4X4 for a red carpet event with two supermodels, they were the first people to reply and gave me a brand new (had around 20 miles on the clock) Alpina XD3. An M4 for the day isn't bad going! You won't believe what I'm picking up for London fashion week tomorrow, keep an eye on my Instagram around 4 pm ;-) Cheers

Awesome job!

madbadad said:
Awesome job!

Sorry just seen my predicted text grammar from last message!!!

@joezepher

What's your Instagram name?
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.