Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 135i M
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, newbie here 😉 have a 2014 M135i N55 which is used as an every day and track car, first track day in it Bedford 2nd week in august.

I can see it’s been posted before but I’m still a little confused…

ill only track it on road tires Michelin pilot super sports at best. Do I need to worry about oil starvation issues? I know MMR do a baffle plate and it seems the S55 engine sump is a direct fit with the option to upgrade to the secondary oil pump option too (not that I can find any for sale) but do I need to be spending money on this upgrade works? I’m planning to overfill oil by about 1/2 liter and I’m using millers oil (5w30 nanodrive).

I’ve seen CSF do a direct bolt on upgraded oil cooler and some have suggested the oem cooler isn’t sufficient for track use and to back off at 130C (I know how to unlock the hidden oil temp) I’m not sure why high oil temperature is a problem though with regular oil changes?

other things I’ve seen as problems:

Turbo charge pipe - mtc do an aluminum upgrade, any other options out there?

Crankshaft bearings and upgraded bolts?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
Following with interest ;)

I am debating myself on going to the track from time to time in my car but in the back of my head I constantly have that thought of 'what if '(oil starvation) o_O

I think if you intend on tracking it often then having a baffled sump is a good idea to have that extra peace of mind. But I think once or twice a year, ensuring you have plenty of oil in the engine should do the trick.

I have read up somewhere...might have been on this forum or other, that apparently oil starvation occurs more often on the long sweeping curves / turns where revs keep climbing and oil moves to one end of the sump... I'll try and find a link later so will update when I find it.

Personally, I think tracks like Donington, Brands, Anglesey and back end of Cadwell might be the worrying parts? Long, fast curves?

As for other bits, the charge pipe will be a good idea... I have seen quite a few people buy and use the Ebay 'specials' without many complaints, so I would look at them too. I would also consider maybe better pads as the stock BMW pads I have been reading are quite shocking and fade quickly on track.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Mate,

I've got my first track day booked at bedford on 18/07 and have the same car... i've gone for the mmr baffled sump for peace of mind. Key is to keep and eye on the oil over the day, at high revs its possible to burn a litre of oil in a day. I'd maybe consider 5w40 for track use also.

Charge pipe, i've got an ebay special... seems fine!

brakes I've gone for some ds1.11 front pads with some zimmerman dimpled discs

I've got loads of handling and power mods but these obviously aren't necessary

·
Registered
BMW 135i M
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mate,

I've got my first track day booked at bedford on 18/07 and have the same car... i've gone for the mmr baffled sump for peace of mind. Key is to keep and eye on the oil over the day, at high revs its possible to burn a litre of oil in a day. I'd maybe consider 5w40 for track use also.

Charge pipe, i've got an ebay special... seems fine!

brakes I've gone for some ds1.11 front pads with some zimmerman dimpled discs

I've got loads of handling and power mods but these obviously aren't necessary
Hi there, thanks that’s great advice :) the MMR baffle plate seems to be around £400. I’m thinking since most the cost will be fitting it if anyone knows where I could get a S55 sump and oil pump?

did you get a metal charge pipe on eBay?

I’ve just stuck a set of brembo pads on the front with oem disks for now but will upgrade when they’re due. Have upgraded to braided lines and chanced to dot 5.1 though

Steve

·
Registered
BMW 135i M
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I am debating myself on going to the track from time to time in my car but in the back of my head I constantly have that thought of 'what if '(oil starvation) o_O

I think if you intend on tracking it often then having a baffled sump is a good idea to have that extra peace of mind. But I think once or twice a year, ensuring you have plenty of oil in the engine should do the trick.

I have read up somewhere...might have been on this forum or other, that apparently oil starvation occurs more often on the long sweeping curves / turns where revs keep climbing and oil moves to one end of the sump... I'll try and find a link later so will update when I find it.

Personally, I think tracks like Donington, Brands, Anglesey and back end of Cadwell might be the worrying parts? Long, fast curves?

As for other bits, the charge pipe will be a good idea... I have seen quite a few people buy and use the Ebay 'specials' without many complaints, so I would look at them too. I would also consider maybe better pads as the stock BMW pads I have been reading are quite shocking and fade quickly on track.

Hi ya, yeah I read the same re anything above 1G and under heavy braking but also been seeing most have had problems running low on bad / old oil neither of which I’ll ever do. That said the peace of mind thing is priceless- well £1300 ish for the MMR baffle 😱. But I’ll probably do 12 days a year ish and it’s gotta be cheeper than a new engine!

By eBay special, something like this?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thing I've never understood regarding oil starvation, our cars went through rigorous testing, been round numerous tracks when they first came out and I've never heard nor would I expect to see oil starvation mentioned, unless someone can correct me???

Chargepipe, I went forgemotorsport.

If tracking a lot I personally would invest in an upgraded oil cooler, chargepipe and better brakes, lighter alloys.

·
Registered
BMW 135i M
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thing I've never understood regarding oil starvation, our cars went through rigorous testing, been round numerous tracks when they first came out and I've never heard nor would I expect to see oil starvation mentioned, unless someone can correct me???

Chargepipe, I went forgemotorsport.

If tracking a lot I personally would invest in an upgraded oil cooler, chargepipe and better brakes, lighter alloys.
Thanks very much. There are definitely different opinions on it! The following thread is a good example.

but it does seem to be a thing! MMR baffle plate designed specifically to fit in the sump etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi ya, yeah I read the same re anything above 1G and under heavy braking but also been seeing most have had problems running low on bad / old oil neither of which I’ll ever do. That said the peace of mind thing is priceless- well £1300 ish for the MMR baffle 😱. But I’ll probably do 12 days a year ish and it’s gotta be cheeper than a new engine!

By eBay special, something like this?

Yeah it will definitely be worth a while if you intend on using it more often. £1300 seems quite steep, considering the part itself is just under £400? Is that because you would be having someone fit it for you?

As for charge pipes, yes something like that or the below... Looks the same thing but a couple of £ cheaper...every little helps :ROFLMAO:

N55 Charge pipe

·
Registered
BMW 135i M
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it will definitely be worth a while if you intend on using it more often. £1300 seems quite steep, considering the part itself is just under £400? Is that because you would be having someone fit it for you?

As for charge pipes, yes something like that or the below... Looks the same thing but a couple of £ cheaper...every little helps :ROFLMAO:

N55 Charge pipe
That’s fabulous thank you 😊 yeah every little definitely helps!

It looks like to drop the sump to fit the baffle plate the steering rack and associated bits need to come off. Need a ramp for that so I can’t do it on the drive 😱 the £1300 was from the good folks at deutschtech in Milton Keynes who also have some good YouTube vids of it. I dare say my little local friendly garage would be a cheeper option but my mind set is in the ‘if we’re going to the effort of dropping the sump, would the £400 for the baffle plate be better put towards an M3 S55 sump with the additional suction oil pump’ only I can’t find where to buy one making cost comparison tricky! Secondary thought - while the sump is out it wouldn’t be too much extra work to upgrade the rod bearings and bolts but again not sure where to buy these 😱

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Im not sure many cars actually get tested to destruction on tracks on supersticky tyres, a great example of this is where anyone that wants to track an Elise/Exige has to pay out for a new sump and billet oil pump gears - I know, right? Lotus? :lol:

Ive heard that the N55 oil system isn't the best but Ive not heard of any cars dying due to starvation; I do know the 235R had sump from the M2 which has to tell you something though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I agree, as normal cars and us normal people driving, even on track, I don't see an issue.

Add in supersticky tyres, coilovers, lighter this, lighter that, then yeah, I suppose you're breaching the standard cars capability and cornering forces.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The guy in this YT video does the M4 sump/twin pump conversion to an N55 M135i, it has all the part numbers for the bits and pieces required as well in the description on YT (you even score for an actual, real oil dipstick doing this rather than the electronic thing fitted as standard).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts