Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd like to clarify if you need to code out ADB/e-diff on M140's once you install an LSD?

eg. BMW of Quaife.

I hear stories of having to code it out, and leaving it coded in.

Both make sense to me. How does the LSD work with and without the ADB software enabled?

Which is better for fast road? And is coding out the norm?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hi all,

I'd like to clarify if you need to code out ADB/e-diff on M140's once you install an LSD?

eg. BMW of Quaife.

I hear stories of having to code it out, and leaving it coded in.

Both make sense to me. How does the LSD work with and without the ADB software enabled?

Which is better for fast road? And is coding out the norm?

Cheers
Hi Ramos, no e-diff on the 140, no coding required!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Thanks for reply. Sorry I meant the ADB system that applies the rear brakes when it detects wheel spin or a slide.
ABS we call it in Europe and it will be unaffected by an LSD. Again, no coding required to change to an LSD.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The M Performance LSD and the generic BMW traction control systems are complementary and work together without any re-coding needed. All the LSD does is make the car behave better and defer the point at which the electronics need to step in. If you pass that point, you still want them there to intervene, and save you from yourself, so to speak.

You may read posts on the US forums from people who are adamant that you need to code out traction controls. But these seem to be from people seriously tracking and racing their cars. In that case, they don't want any electronic intervention - the car gets driven at the limit so much that the intervention becomes a problem when on track. But for public roads, this doesn't apply.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The M Performance LSD and the generic BMW traction control systems are complementary and work together without any re-coding needed. All the LSD does is make the car behave better and defer the point at which the electronics need to step in. If you pass that point, you still want them there to intervene, and save you from yourself, so to speak.

You may read posts on the US forums from people who are adamant that you need to code out traction controls. But these seem to be from people seriously tracking and racing their cars. In that case, they don't want any electronic intervention - the car gets driven at the limit so much that the intervention becomes a problem when on track. But for public roads, this doesn't apply.
I think that’s a fair sum up. All the information is there in my eyes.
if you don’t want nannies to interfere at all it Does need coding out. Otherwise if a certain yaw angle is reached brakes are automatically applied. Whether that it’s suitable for the road is another question, but it was 20 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts