Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to check for ages, finally did it today, its well below minimum, you can just about see a bit of fluid in the expansion tank, ive not had a warning yet and im going to top it up this afternoon.

Had zero issues with coolant loss so far in owning the car (2 years) last time i checked was a few months back, dont know if the lid was properly secure after the last service but im hoping its as simple as that, whats the chance its something more major? And is there any chance i could have done any damage so far?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Used about 750ml/800ml when i topped it up to get it just above max by a smidge.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
did you top it up cold ?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
i'd have topped it it to just above min to allow for expansion

Reactions: nazali

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'd have topped it it to just above min to allow for expansion
Plenty of space above max for expansion, regardless im more interested in why its dissapeared in the first place.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its only a guess but as the engine runs at 109-110C my guess is some coolant makes its way past the
O rings. Mine was slightly low at 13K miles and the cap was a pig to remove. There was a small amount of white crystal deposits under the cap. After topping it up I put a smear of silicon grease on the O rings and a small amount on the threads. I would think judging by previous reports that the car will cut the power in the event of the coolant getting too low and it should trigger a dashboard warning.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Do you mean the main tank or the small tank? I have topped up the small tank once or twice but cannot remember topping up the main tank in 5 years.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you mean the main tank or the small tank? I have topped up the small tank once or twice but cannot remember topping up the main tank in 5 years.
Main tank buddy for the engine, cooler tank has always been fine.

Poster above i wonder if it is the cap has degraded maybe, what do you mean about the o ring which bit is that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had same issue. Almost couldn't get the cap off, white deposit. Bought a new cap, some grease on the o-rings. 6 months later have lost almost noting from when I topped it last.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same issue here, lost coolant, topped up, was still losing a bit of coolant. Replaced the cap and haven't had to touch since

1 - 11 of 11 Posts