Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am thinking about getting an E82, I defo wanna get the diesel variant and am currently thinking the 118d is best for my needs but wondering if the 120 or 123 is worth going for? The 118 on paper is quite a bit more economical but does this translate into the real world?

Do these have a DPF aswell? Are they a known problem or cause issues? What are the intervals?

What is the car like in general? Reliable? Good to own?

I would like to get it remapped as well and I know the 123d is best for that but it's hard to find a good example with low miles.

What should I be looking out for? Any known issues? I read it has a timing chain rather than belt? Is that true?

Thanks for any advice, I'm in the UK aswell if that helps.

·
Administrator
4,015 Posts
What is the car like in general? Reliable?
About as far from it as possible. Stick "N47 common issues" into google and have a read.

Best bet is a car from 2009 or later with a flawless service history, the timing chain recently replaced, and as much money spent by the previous owner as possible.

DPF doesn't have an interval and won't be an issue if you do the motorway miles to keep one nice and clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About as far from it as possible. Stick "N47 common issues" into google and have a read.

Best bet is a car from 2009 or later with a flawless service history, the timing chain recently replaced, and as much money spent by the previous owner as possible.

DPF doesn't have an interval and won't be an issue if you do the motorway miles to keep one nice and clean.
Haha cheers, I have been reading a lot the past couple hours.

I'm looking at 12 plates and newer and FSH. Some have good mileage 50-60k

That seems to put me in the safest bracket.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
do you plan od tuning the engine ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you plan od tuning the engine ?
I was thinking just a remap.

Ive been reading a lot about the MPG now and slightly concerned, a lot of guys saying they are getting mid 30 range mpg? This is a concern for me as I want it to be economical hence why I'm looking at the 118 or 120d and not the 125 or 135i

Don't wanna buy it and then the economy is only a little more than the bigger powered ones.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
What sort of mileage do you do? Miles per annum? Motorway, A roads or stop/start town driving?

Also bear in mind any N47 engine is not ULEZ compliant in London (probably other towns/cities too) and TfL currently consulting on expanding the ULEZ zone to the whole of Greater London from August 2023 (IIRC).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine is an e87 118d so same engine as you are considering. It's done 127,000 miles - all in Spain so no signs of corrosion. I recently ran ISTA+ diagnostics on it and it only showed 2 errors: (1) Auto rain sensor not calibrated. This was caused by the rain sensor module becoming detached from the lens that is glued to the windscreen. This was an easy fix. (2) An information only message saying that the DPF was reaching end of life. This message is triggered only by the mileage - not the condition of the DPF. I reset the counter (i.e. telling the car the DPF had been serviced) and the message disappeared.

I've had the car since January and I've since completed 2 tours - one from Alicante up to and around Toledo and back (1,000 miles or so) and more recently up from Alicante to Toulouse and then Chamonix and back to Alicante (over 2,000 miles). The car has not missed a beat.

In terms of preventative maintenance I've changed gearbox (manual) and rear axle oil, I've also changed the serpentine belt and pulleys. Whilst doing the latter job I noticed that the crankshaft pulley was falling apart so I replaced that as well (see What Did You Do To Your 1 Series Today?)
Economy - blasting around on non-congested motorways I get 50 to 52 at 75 to 85 mph. Travelling at 50 to 60 MPH on the main non motorway roads I get 53 to 54 MPG.

I have no timing chain noise and I'm not going to replace it. I get the impression these are random events not affecting the vast majority of owners.

In terms of tuning, there is less to achieve with a 123d as there would be with a 116d as they are all effectively the same engine so more bang per bucks from remapping the lower model numbers.

118d with n47 engine does not have swirl flaps so no issue with those.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: FrankieC

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I was thinking just a remap.

Ive been reading a lot about the MPG now and slightly concerned, a lot of guys saying they are getting mid 30 range mpg? This is a concern for me as I want it to be economical hence why I'm looking at the 118 or 120d and not the 125 or 135i

Don't wanna buy it and then the economy is only a little more than the bigger powered ones.
The 120D has a bigger turbo and a stronger diff than the 118D so opt for the 120d

Reactions: noodels

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What sort of mileage do you do? Miles per annum? Motorway, A roads or stop/start town driving?

Also bear in mind any N47 engine is not ULEZ compliant in London (probably other towns/cities too) and TfL currently consulting on expanding the ULEZ zone to the whole of Greater London from August 2023 (IIRC).
After doing some research it seems I'll get between 45-50mpg combined which I think is pretty good for the car it is.

I was just worried as I was reading about these mid 30mpg stories.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine is an e87 118d so same engine as you are considering. It's done 127,000 miles - all in Spain so no signs of corrosion. I recently ran ISTA+ diagnostics on it and it only showed 2 errors: (1) Auto rain sensor not calibrated. This was caused by the rain sensor module becoming detached from the lens that is glued to the windscreen. This was an easy fix. (2) An information only message saying that the DPF was reaching end of life. This message is triggered only by the mileage - not the condition of the DPF. I reset the counter (i.e. telling the car the DPF had been serviced) and the message disappeared.

I've had the car since January and I've since completed 2 tours - one from Alicante up to and around Toledo and back (1,000 miles or so) and more recently up from Alicante to Toulouse and then Chamonix and back to Alicante (over 2,000 miles). The car has not missed a beat.

In terms of preventative maintenance I've changed gearbox (manual) and rear axle oil, I've also changed the serpentine belt and pulleys. Whilst doing the latter job I noticed that the crankshaft pulley was falling apart so I replaced that as well (see What Did You Do To Your 1 Series Today?)
Economy - blasting around on non-congested motorways I get 50 to 52 at 75 to 85 mph. Travelling at 50 to 60 MPH on the main non motorway roads I get 53 to 54 MPG.

I have no timing chain noise and I'm not going to replace it. I get the impression these are random events not affecting the vast majority of owners.

In terms of tuning, there is less to achieve with a 123d as there would be with a 116d as they are all effectively the same engine so more bang per bucks from remapping the lower model numbers.

118d with n47 engine does not have swirl flaps so no issue with those.

I hope this helps.
Cheer man, sounds like it has been decent for you.

Going to look at one today and hopefully get a drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 120D has a bigger turbo and a stronger diff than the 118D so opt for the 120d
I initially wanted the 123d but I just can't find a good example, I want lower miles <70k and it has to be newer that 61 plate.

I then looked at the 120d but this suffers the same, there are more examples but none that meet what I want.

The 118 opens up a lot more options and has loads of examples I'm looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took a 120d for a drive yesterday and was left a bit underwhelmed.

For a 2l turbo diesel with 177bhp and 258lbs/ft it felt like a docile petrol car, second gear floored it and didn't have any of that usual turbo boost.

I used to have a Golf GT TDI and that thing in second gear pulled like a train.

Was something wrong with it? It wasn't the best example but wanted to get a feel for the drive. Is this how BMW wanted them to be? More N/A in feel?

·
Registered
463 Posts
It may be stock, from what I know with my 118d which is stock 143hp so not exactly 177.
But when it was stock it had no aggressive pulling in 2nd or 3rd gear. For 143hp didn't seem great. (My 1.2 Clio turbo with 100hp had more feeling of a pull)

It was very linear but no wow factor when pulling up to speed.
Remapped now to approx 170/180.
It pulls very aggressively in 2nd or 3rd and gives a nice push.
So I think similar case in the 120d?

Just a guess

My remapped 118d is neck to neck with a friend's Golf 2.0 150hp
So I think VAGs in general always have more of that pull. Not sure why? Or it's because my car is 8 years older than it🙂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It may be stock, from what I know with my 118d which is stock 143hp so not exactly 177.
But when it was stock it had no aggressive pulling in 2nd or 3rd gear. For 143hp didn't seem great. (My 1.2 Clio turbo with 100hp had more feeling of a pull)

It was very linear but no wow factor when pulling up to speed.
Remapped now to approx 170/180.
It pulls very aggressively in 2nd or 3rd and gives a nice push.
So I think similar case in the 120d?

Just a guess

My remapped 118d is neck to neck with a friend's Golf 2.0 150hp
So I think VAGs in general always have more of that pull. Not sure why? Or it's because my car is 8 years older than it🙂
Sounds like it was about right then tbf, very disappointing. Why the hell does BMW do this? I drove an M4 Comp last month and it was the same, absolute ****, felt like a 1.2L petrol in its acceleration, so annoying.

Well, if this is the 2.0 I'm gonna hate the 118d stock. So you reckon the map changed it a lot?

I hear you on the Golf thing, my one was a 2007 GT TDI with 140bhp and that thing pulled hard, very hard. I assumed the beamer would have been that and then some especially being RWD, disappointed here tbh.

I think BMW do like that linear delivery, they do it a lot. Although my brother has an M2 and that thing pulls like a rocket from 1500rpm, it's so much fun.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sounds like it was about right then tbf, very disappointing. Why the hell does BMW do this? I drove an M4 Comp last month and it was the same, absolute ****, felt like a 1.2L petrol in its acceleration, so annoying.

Well, if this is the 2.0 I'm gonna hate the 118d stock. So you reckon the map changed it a lot?

I hear you on the Golf thing, my one was a 2007 GT TDI with 140bhp and that thing pulled hard, very hard. I assumed the beamer would have been that and then some especially being RWD, disappointed here tbh.

I think BMW do like that linear delivery, they do it a lot. Although my brother has an M2 and that thing pulls like a rocket from 1500rpm, it's so much fun.
Well with a remap its a lovely car to drive the 118d so the 120d will be even better!
heres a clip from the mapped 118d with engine noise,pretty good , happy with it tbh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned a 120d 4d hatch (2009 fairly low milage) two years now and done 25k miles in it now. No issues whatsoever. It's a second car to my 475hp 335is and it's getting all the usage because it's so user friendly, zippy and nimble in town and frugal on the motorway. This spring it hauled us to the Alps and back almost making the trip down from Copenhagen in one tank of diesel.

I've read a German endurance (100k KM) review, and they claimed it to be the first car they put through the test without a single issue. My local MOT remarked when he failed it on a leaking damper: " Oh, they can actually fail..."

Ofc things are different at +100k miles, but doesnt that apply for almost any car?

I'm considering getting a very low milage 123d coupe Msport, but I'm factoring in the cost of a Quaife 2.56 LSD diff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got an e87 123d early 2008 plate back in August 2017 with 85k on the clock.

Real world mileage has been 36-37mpg, now up to 117k. My commute is around 40 miles a day but obviously been impacted by the pandemic, had a few issues here and there needing a new battery recently because it wasn't fitted with an AGM battery when I bought it, rear diff seals, front shocks and a couple of other things but mainly wear and tear items.

It's had the chain rattle since day 1 of my ownership, I don't think it's any worse now but I fully appreciate I could be sat on a time-bomb and went in knowing this. It's had all related recalls and has served me well to date.

I read back at the time of buying it has the same clutch/gearbox etc of the 33xD range so has capacity to handle higher power in that department and also the twin fixed vane turbo setup is more reliable and allows for smoother power delivery over the range than the variable vane single turbo setup of the 118d/120d.

I haven't modified it but also not looking to replace it any time soon unless the engine blows up. If the clutch starts to go I might contemplate a clutch/chain swap at the same time but I suspect that will be more than the car is worth at this point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts