Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what you guys think to them ? Can't help feeling when driving this car at night that the led headlights just don't seem bright enough into the distance compared to my previous m135 without led headlights . My m140 has the standard headlights.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NISFAN said:
Yep LED are bright at close range but lack penetration. Rubbish in my opinion without laser back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I thought as they do look really bright up close but I've really struggled in to the distance . Was hoping there might be a way of making them better than they are now .

· Registered
768 Posts
I think the time of year has something to do with it.

When I've washed the car the LEDs look great but once the lights get covered in crap, and remembering they don't have washers, then they are not so effective.

· Registered
2,154 Posts
LED standard headlights will show a whiter light than xenons, but if they are anything like my previous S3, they provide less light on dip or beam. On the other hand, LED is capable of being far better than current xenons, but you have to pay a big premium (as in Audi matrix etc) to get multiple LED lights and enhanced functionality.

· Registered
182 Posts
If you have not already done it, try adjusting the beam slightly upwards -
I have had to do this on my last 3 BMWs, they aim far too low from the factory. Make sure you make small adjustments, if you go too far you will be dazzling oncoming traffic. From memory, I think that my last two cars needed half a turn of the screw, and my E90 needed 1.5 turns (though those halogen candles could not have dazzled anyone!)

· Registered
311 Posts
As someone pointed out the inner lens on our lights doesn't do anything, anyone know if it's just a lens to look pretty or as I'm hoping the led units are a standard light module (with a different bit of moulding around them) which could accept another led module doubling the light output. There might be thermal implications though.

Another approach is that you could mount an auxiliary light on the opposite side to the oil cooler to assist main beam.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,491 Posts
Anyone offer coding to increase the output of LED's. A friend of mine had is Tesla coded as they only gave around 80% from the factory.this might have been more to do with American law stating the output. So it might not apply the Euro built BM's.

· Registered
209 Posts
I have the adaptive LED lights and I'm very happy with their performance, particularly how they adjust themselves to point around bends.

· Registered
3,491 Posts
ricc said:
coming from an R56 mini with halogens I have zero complaints. Anything is better than Halogen...
I'm 100% with you. Had a couple of R56 will halogens. they're borderline dangerous.

· Registered
668 Posts
Halogen are rubbish, first thing you have to do is get uprated bulbs - only weak spot of my sis's 208 GTi is no xenon or led option, first thing she said to me the lights were terrible, change to Nightbreakers and its MUCH better.

I do find the LED lights in my M140 a bit rubbish compared to my old F31 Xenons.....

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
clarkeysntfc said:
I have the adaptive LED lights and I'm very happy with their performance, particularly how they adjust themselves to point around bends.
I had adaptive on my m135 and it was ok but I didn't think it was worth it again ,my m140 is more like I can't see the corner let alone the headlights moving round it !

· Registered
3,491 Posts
I remember the adaptive lights on my M135 and M235 as being very different. The 135 just swivelled left/right. where as the 235 were all singing dancing.

· Registered
275 Posts
the 1er has poverty spec adaptive lights, the 2er has the proper spec leds

1 - 20 of 49 Posts