Baby BMW Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2018 BMW M140i & 2009 Mini Cooper S R57.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the images. Do you think there's any merit in removing the cluster to apply the film?
I thought the same but the film comes in 5 pieces and taking it off wouldn't make it any easier to get bubbles out. I just pulled the steering wheel out and pushed it down (with the adjustment lever). Esssentially because the cluster is not flat you are fighting with several edges for each section.

· Super Moderator
963 Posts
I was wondering about it from a gentle pre-cleaning point of view also, not just the installation. I'm honestly terrified of touching the damned clocks in case I scratch them any more.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was wondering about it from a gentle pre-cleaning point of view also, not just the installation. I'm honestly terrified of touching the damned clocks in case I scratch them any more.
I used exactly the same cleaning solution as they recommended in their video. Works a treat. Bought new mf cloths too. I believe the cluster comes out easy, so why not.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the update 🙂

Would it be fair to say you think they look better in person then in your photos, as it's a hard thing to photo she to the glare.

If your bubbles dissipate, I will get a set.

Thanks 👍
Yes, they look awesome minus the bubbles. They are getting better each day. Not totally gone yet, will keep you posted. If shiny is too much for you, the oem / matte solution looks pretty decent too.

· Registered
389 Posts
One thing to be aware of is if you read the description, due to the matte finish the resolution of the dials is compromised and makes it a little bit blurry whereas the gloss ones are totally clear and actually enhance the brightness of the dials, exactly as nox described.

If you do buy the matte ones please let us know how you get on so we know both options!

· Super Moderator
963 Posts
One thing to be aware of is if you read the description, due to the matte finish the resolution of the dials is compromised and makes it a little bit blurry whereas the gloss ones are totally clear and actually enhance the brightness of the dials, exactly as nox described.

If you do buy the matte ones please let us know how you get on so we know both options!
I've just ordered a set of the matte finish. I'll post some piccies when I get them installed.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Guys, result after 2 weeks. I decided to go hybrid and only left the film over the dials themselves instead of the surround. Essentially I had messed up that big piece (and left air undernearth) and its not really that badly scratched there. Very happy with results.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Speedometer Automotive design Gauge Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive design Tachometer

21 - 31 of 31 Posts