Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently i have begun hearing this knocking sound coming from the rear. At first i only heard it when accelerating and quickly releasing the accelerator, and i would only hear a single knock.
Today on my way to work i started hearing it more constantly, not when accelerating or decelerating, but when i slightly press the accelerator just to cruise at a certain speed.
If i found a sweet spot i could hear it continously, like "duk duk duk" (kind of sounds like a single piston boat), which leads me to believe that the differential mounts have gone bad which allows the driveshaft to knock into something. The knocking sound scales with the driving speed, so this is the only thing that makes sense to me.

I'm not a mechanic, therefore i lean on babybmw for answers to what it might be. I am open to any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
64,538 Posts
Could be gearbox or diff mounts, or DMF, does your giubo (rubber doughnut coupling) look healthy?

·
Registered
636 Posts
When it’s an 118i or d, check the diff itself. I had to replace it twice, on my ‘05 118d and my ‘09 118i. They’re ‘not the best quality’.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts