Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From Subaru (Legacy turbo estates, imported Forester T/tb) then Lancer Ralliart Sportback ( remapped and other improvements) to a dismal Active Tourer 225i X drive Luxury. Poor suspension, no lateral support in seats and no confidence performance (had to buy quick in covid lockdown and it was a mistake).
I am looking to replace with Audi sq2 (when I find the correct colour combo) or Cupra Formentor 310 VZ2 ( infotainment issues) or VW T-Roc R ( just a VW !) so the perfect replacement does not yet exist.
Should the X2 M35i be added to the list ? 2-3 yrs old, low miles. Wife does NOT like driving the Active Tourer. Is the ride in the X2 a firmer ride, is it adaptable suspension, 300bhp is much more what I am used to, rural so need awd and an elevated driving position , not grey or black and same for interior, how does the X2 shape up ? Don't want a big car, family grown up so just the two of us.
I must admit that the experiece of the Active Tourer does nothing to encourage me to get another BMW so is the M35i a totally different experience ?
Comments please.
Thanks
Brian.

Registered
LOL, Brian i often feel your dilemma in finding another car and your issues with the F45AT are the same as mine and our wants are not too dissimilar despite not the same needs or experiences.

My Thoughts:
I actually like the F45 Active Tourer, in principle, as the packaging suits my practical needs well and the 2ltr petrol 192ps turbo unit is surprisingly punchy and revvy and interior quality is the same as a same-gen 3 Series (F30/F31). My 2018 might have some variations to your pre-facelift but basically the same.
But yeah, BMW could've done some things better! The base suspension is weak! SE, Sport & Luxury set-ups are the same, only the M-Sport is stronger. I have the "Adaptive" set-up [as you know, but it's for those haven't read the other discussions] and it's the same or even more soft/bouncy in "comfort" than SE-passive, plus i don't think it matches the weight of the larger 18-inch wheels effectively and in "sport" mode it's too stiff like the suspension has become solid-rubber rods and it doesn't feel like a controlled ride. And it's only got worse over time, more so in Comfort Mode.
I wish i had specced M-Sport suspension for better control and better longevity.
As for the seats, the SE are the same model as the luxury but the former come wrapped in anthracite-grid cloth as standard wheres the latter in Dakota leather. Yes, they are seriously lacking lateral support! For me the seat base support is fine it's just the upper body support is minimal at best, very noticeable from day one. It could be worse for you as the Dakota slippy compared to the grippy cloth - and you know i actually love my cloth seats! Yeah, lacking in support but comfort/feel is wonderful and a now feel so clammy on low-grade leather even with perforations - i'm actually infuriated with BMW for deliberately making unsupportive seats AND only having the option to have Dakota on the higher-end models.
Also with the SE/Lux models they come with the 'Sport' steering wheel - thinner than the M-Sport - which i'm finding very uncomfortable! And braking is weak!

Now to your question:
The F39 X2 has pretty much the same interior equipment as the F45 and runs on the same chassis so is very familiar but i guess if your not careful in your choice the same mistakes could be made. Though i'm led to believe the SE passive suspension is stiffer than the SE F45, but i have my doubts - maybe different springs??
I have only short test-driven a 70-plate X2 M35i and very recently slightly longer test-driven a 2018 20d xDrive X model. Firstly everything is nicely familar but the A/C unit controls are better placed and a less van-like feeling sitting position and less A-pillar blind-spot.
IMHO don't go for one with adaptive suspension as it's the same as the F45's set-up!

From what i can recall the M35i model had bags of power, it pulled very well - i couldn't get a full feel for it on the busy sub-urban roads but it was not lacking grunt! As for the ride... it felt okay on the too-short test-run but analysing it later i reckon it would've gotten tiresome after a distance. Also in was on 20inch rims with runflats. The braking was very strong, maybe too strong?
Now the 20dx was also on 20" RFTed wheels due to it being the X pack and on the M-Sport suspension and yes, it was firm, but not uncomfortable - i would say it was pretty close to being exactly what i was looking for! Now i don't know if it's due to the standard M-Sport suspension being more supple than an M35's set-up or the extra weight of the diesel unit or just that time & mileage have mellowed the suspension to an acceptable level - this is what i meant earlier by longevity, all BMW suspension softens a lot over time but it seems MSport soften-ratio is much less than the SE type. The power was decent and was actually quite fun on roundabouts and corners with the xDrive - i could tell it didn't have long-legs and some might be found wanting at top speeds but the chances for that seem less and less each year, but if you did't care about top-end it's perfectly respectable though you could still feel/hear it's a 4-pot oil-burner, though still quiet for one [actually my B48 petrol is quite rattly/noisy like a diesel! but without that feel]. Brakes decently strong enough.
I had read that some owners experienced excessive wind noise from the driver's side window, and i too found this on the 20d model, didn't recall it on the M35i - maybe they sorted it on later models or i just didn't notice. Also with the electric memory seats i couldn't put the seat back as far as i would've liked, is manual better??

I actually liked that 20d and if it were new i likely might have gone for it, i guess i've been spoilt with new models! so the car felt "used" even if in fair nick. It also had sport seats including all the optional lumber & electric adjustments as well as the adjustable bolster control - nice and supportive! But it was clothed in Dakota so probably not really my preference, at least it was Magma Red and not cave black! I don't like earlier Coral Red, Magma is a better hue to me. I too prefer non-black interior, although i do prefer the lower part of the dash remained black in most instances.
Now the M35i came in the upgraded "M"Sports seats with the solid all-in-one seats and covered in the alcantara fabric, much nicer to sit-in although coz it's so grippy making small adjustments if u don't plonk yer butt just right isn't so easy! On the standard sports seats in the X2 you can also spec them with alcantara or anthracite/sensatec mix, much better available options on the F39 than the F45 - but most seem to have black dakota, not sure if that's because of trend or dealer stock-spec options or preferred stocking for Approved Used BMW dealers but it's frustrating! Same with the 3-series.
I'd might still be intrested in an X2 M35i but all the stocked ones are poverty spec and are still pricey - the X2 has always been overpriced from new! There are many more healthier specced 20i and 20d but most xDrives are the diesel units. Disappointing that the 28i and 25d models weren't offered to the UK market :mad:

Shame this forum is so quiet :( There's more noise on other sites....

TL:DR, yeah i know! Just think how long it took for me to type it!! 馃槄

P.S. - have you considered a Mini Countryman?

Registered
Ah, and also during my search for knowledge it appears that there are only two branded tyres available for the F39's 20" wheels - Pirelli P-Zeros and Goodyear Asymmetrical 3, yes both runflats.

ADDITIONAL EDIT:
I just handed my car over for it's 1st big service so i thought i'd have a nose at the used cars on display. Saw an X2 and found that the manual seats do give a greater range of movement so if you're tall or slightly taller than average and you're not having to re-adjust your seat often then manual is the way to go. Also the alcantara seem to induce static charge as i got a shock after trying out the seats front & rear.
Mini Countryman; bags of space but i find the interior design just too weird for me - particularly the speedo instrument cluster.
All models seem to suffer from awkward legroom for resting your left leg (there were only auto models), but the F39 & F40 models suffered much less than the RWD models. X1 is very spacious. G20 felt awkwardly tight entering/exiting the rear seats.

Registered
Ah, and also during my search for knowledge it appears that there are only two branded tyres available for the F39's 20" wheels - Pirelli P-Zeros and Goodyear Asymmetrical 3, yes both runflats.

ADDITIONAL EDIT:
I just handed my car over for it's 1st big service so i thought i'd have a nose at the used cars on display. Saw an X2 and found that the manual seats do give a greater range of movement so if you're tall or slightly taller than average and you're not having to re-adjust your seat often then manual is the way to go. Also the alcantara seem to induce static charge as i got a shock after trying out the seats front & rear.
Mini Countryman; bags of space but i find the interior design just too weird for me - particularly the speedo instrument cluster.
All models seem to suffer from awkward legroom for resting your left leg (there were only auto models), but the F39 & F40 models suffered much less than the RWD models. X1 is very spacious. G20 felt awkwardly tight entering/exiting the rear seats.
ADDITIONAL 2:
I tried another 20d with elec-adj seats and they went all the way back like the manual, i guess the other one was very used as i couldn't feel the bolsters moving either. Lumbar suppport is nice! The 20d really is gruff at low speeds. Rear seats seemed to have less legroom than i recall in the last tested one, but if it's just you and the missus it's probably not a big issue. Brakes much better than the AT. Nice car overall, just need to find a well specced clean M35i!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts