Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Not sure if anyones experienced this on a 3.0 N52 but since ive had the car ive noticed its always had this sort of dull thud that you can feel through and underneath the car on idle. I put it down to a misfire but after replacing cover gasket, sparks and coils aswell as air filter it still seems to be there albeit slightly less prominent. It really is random and can happen a few times within seconds of each other or once every 30 seconds-1 minute or so. After replicating a misfire by pulling a coil id say it feels nowhere near as bad. I notice there is a slight judder on startup aswell.

Im not sure if it has any affect on performance as after refreshing parts I’ve noticed the car just pull along better but can still feel a bit bogged down (flatter) when it’s warmer outside - especially compared to the later afternoon evening where it goes like hell with snappy throttle response. Mpg is actually pretty good at the moment with 26mpg seen around town with stop start driving.

Am i looking into this too much? Ive pulled this poor car apart so much over the last week or so! Ive even kept the engine cover off on standby just incase something else arises!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well back to square one! Its back to feeling how it was before sparks and coils were changed. Probably not helped by warm weather but just got a spongy throttle response now. Also quite a bit of juddering again on cold start, potentially a misfire again but who knows.
Chasing this problem has driven me mad so i think i just need to let go now until warning light comes up. Maybe im just expecting too much of this car with this engine without 130i/Z4 levels of power. And obsessing over it this much is spoiling the enjoyment over the car a bit.

In the meantime if there’s anything i may have overlooked im all ears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts