Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to get the buttons put on your steering wheel

assuming i already have the buttons and the wiring to attach them to .....well where ever they attach?

Anyone done this?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I've found the how to guide and it looks straight forward enough....

One question tho.

Is there anyway to confirm if my steering wheel has the connector block at the back to receive the MF buttons??

I have a 116i ES so I'm guessing i probably don't.....

Can anyone shed some light on it?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Glasgow_Gio said:
OK I've found the how to guide and it looks straight forward enough....

One question tho.

Is there anyway to confirm if my steering wheel has the connector block at the back to receive the MF buttons??

I have a 116i ES so I'm guessing i probably don't.....

Can anyone shed some light on it?
Pop the airbag cartridge out and have a look - that's what I did.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping someone would know from the spec of my car.

Too busy at mo to be disconnecting batteries etc

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Glasgow_Gio said:
I was hoping someone would know from the spec of my car.

Too busy at mo to be disconnecting batteries etc
you could phone BMW service department and ask for a quote for the work. If they say it can't be done you don't have the wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Say i have the the connector block, will the multifunction work on a business radio system without phone connection?
So just volume and channel working.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i am intested in this answer too. If there are connectors in the back can we just replace the steering wheel panel with MF bottons and viola?! will i need to go for coding at the dealer? got business HU, no phone.

thanks
xS
2004 bmw 118d

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it might only be if you have cruise control, as i got a m/f wheel only to find the plug on the back was a blank. If you do have the plug, yes it will work, and no you wont need to code it.
To buy the cruise control steering colomn switch is quite costly and does require a recode.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi guys,

just to be on safe side: do airbags from sports steering wheel and normal SE version (no MF) differ? I am planning to buy a sports steering wheel with MF - dont know if i can resuse my current airbag. I tried pop open the airback module (to check for connectors) while inserting my screwdriver into the small slits on the backside of your wheel - but could not prise it open. should it be difficult/should i use brutal force?

thanks
xS

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've just gone through this retrofit. My main goal was to install cruise control, but the MF controls were a big bonus.

The SE (non-Sport) steering wheel has a different airbag. Only the Sport and MSport wheels use the same airbag.

Getting the wheel off is described in this excellent guide (to fitting a performance wheel). I presume removing the SE wheel is similar to the Sport wheel.
Alternatively, as suggested above phone a dealer, give them your chassis number and ask them to quote you for a MFSW retrofit. If they specify the airbag, wheel, cover and buttons then that's all you need and you should be able to fit them yourself. These parts come up on eBay regularly - look out for an E87 or E90 wheel. BMW prices are as follows:

Steering wheel with bolts and wiring £242 (Leather M-Tec with dappled sides)
Steering wheel cover £62.95
Multi function buttons £59.95
Bolts x 2 £1.40

If they start talking about a replacement slip ring / coil spring and reprogramming, then it's going to get expensive. Frankly, I'd be surprised if the connections are there but you never know. :)

My car didn't have the connections so I had to replace the slip ring. The good news is that this part is only about £35 from BMW. The bad news is that the reprogramming will cost in labour time. You'll need to factor in 2-3 hours work which is expensive at £100 odd an hour plus VAT. Because I was getting cruise as well I didn't mind spending the money, but it's still a costly exercise.

Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks for an exellent guide! as you say i will call the dealer and check first what parts i need. I will also check a few scrap yards where i can locate these peices as well (i am also looking for the autodimming mirror, cup holder, maybe a back spoiler)

xS

JamieR said:
I've just gone through this retrofit. My main goal was to install cruise control, but the MF controls were a big bonus.

The SE (non-Sport) steering wheel has a different airbag. Only the Sport and MSport wheels use the same airbag.

Getting the wheel off is described in this excellent guide (to fitting a performance wheel). I presume removing the SE wheel is similar to the Sport wheel.
Alternatively, as suggested above phone a dealer, give them your chassis number and ask them to quote you for a MFSW retrofit. If they specify the airbag, wheel, cover and buttons then that's all you need and you should be able to fit them yourself. These parts come up on eBay regularly - look out for an E87 or E90 wheel. BMW prices are as follows:

Steering wheel with bolts and wiring £242 (Leather M-Tec with dappled sides)
Steering wheel cover £62.95
Multi function buttons £59.95
Bolts x 2 £1.40

If they start talking about a replacement slip ring / coil spring and reprogramming, then it's going to get expensive. Frankly, I'd be surprised if the connections are there but you never know. :)

My car didn't have the connections so I had to replace the slip ring. The good news is that this part is only about £35 from BMW. The bad news is that the reprogramming will cost in labour time. You'll need to factor in 2-3 hours work which is expensive at £100 odd an hour plus VAT. Because I was getting cruise as well I didn't mind spending the money, but it's still a costly exercise.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.