Baby BMW Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
"Yeah it's the BMW Performance/K&N one but dry. That said it was on the car before I got it 2 years ago. So god knows how old it is".......... so if you don't know the age how do you know its not restricting the air into the engine....the engine will then sucking more CCV gasses in.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"Yeah it's the BMW Performance/K&N one but dry. That said it was on the car before I got it 2 years ago. So god knows how old it is".......... so if you don't know the age how do you know its not restricting the air into the engine....the engine will then sucking more CCV gasses in.
You're right, I don't know that. But I have cleaned it using the product that K&N offer. So I'd be surprised if it's actually bad.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well a frustrating update.

I finally bothered to sort this out, it was 100% the valvetronic motor gasket. Frustratingly the whole valve cover and all gaskets are only a few months old, but that's just how it goes.

Based on a few threads I found I actually used some RTV/liquid gasket as well, to try and solve this once and for all.

What's even more annoying is that whilst doing this I spotted that the eccentric shaft sensor gasket is actively leaking. Which means two gaskets less than 6 months old (in use anyway) have both failed.

So now I need to order a new gasket for that, as far as I understand it will then mean replacing the entire valve cover gasket again. Plus perhaps the valvetronic motor again?

(Video of the leak)
https://youtube.com/shorts/giCbmeBNxQY?feature=share

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Eccentric shaft sensor gasket can just be popped out/in from above, 5 minute job, 4 minutes of which is removing/replacing the cover trim!
This can actually be done???? I have read MANY contradicting threads where one poster says yes and the other says no - whole cover off etc.

·
Administrator
4,012 Posts
No idea if some cars are different but I 100% changed the gasket from above. It's flanged at the top, it just pushes in and removal is the reverse. I think @SamM140 found the same when he did his.

The sensor itself needs the cover off, but the gasket is a piece of p*ss!

Edit: found my old post – here's a vid. Language warning :biggrin:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No idea if some cars are different but I 100% changed the gasket from above. It's flanged at the top, it just pushes in and removal is the reverse. I think @SamM140 found the same when he did his.

Mate that's amazing thank you!

Reactions: Nyxeris

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just swapped this out in less than 2 mins!!!! Lets hope the new OEM gasket is good and lasts. I was shocked at how easy old one pulled out and how easily new one went in....

Reactions: Nyxeris

·
Registered
4,398 Posts

Edit: found my old post – here's a vid. Language warning :biggrin:

Yup, I changed the gasket from above too. Just use something thin / plastic so as not to damage the plastic valve cover.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well poop. The new gasket is clearly leaking already, oem gasket on non oem valve cover. = 100% problem with the valve cover.

As of this morning I am experiencing what feels like a missfire but could also be the ESS itself I suppose. No check engine yet but I'll plug Carly in later and see whats going on.

Now to shop around for another valve cover. A job I really, really didn't want to have to do again.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Are you 100% sure your CCV/PCV are functioning as intended? If they're not, it's entirely possible to blow out an otherwise perfectly fine valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Are you 100% sure your CCV/PCV are functioning as intended? If they're not, it's entirely possible to blow out an otherwise perfectly fine valve cover gasket.
No, I'm definitely not 100% sure.

But, the PCV as part of the valve cover is about 6-8 months old and I changed the following about a month ago; Intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket, PCV pipe thing that goes from back of valve cover to intake etc.

So I don't know what else I can change/might not be working?

The other thing that makes me think the cover is a dud is how easily the ESS gasket went in. Almost no force required at all. But annoyingly the actual valve cover gasket has been perfectly dry!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ah, of course, the valve is part of the cover, I keep forgetting this because I'm using an aftermarket, external valve (which should actually remind me the valve is part of the cover because that's why I went aftermarket in the first place, to circumvent the crap stock setup). The pipe itself was my next thought but you've replaced that also.

So you're leaking via the eccentric shaft gasket and the valvetronic motor gasket, but not the valve cover gasket, is that correct? And you used RTV on both the ESG and VMG?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So you're leaking via the eccentric shaft gasket and the valvetronic motor gasket, but not the valve cover gasket, is that correct? And you used RTV on both the ESG and VMG?
Valvetronic appears to be fixed now, that is new gasket + RTV.
ESG is new and has no RTV at all.
Valve Cover Gasket absolutely bone dry all the way around.

I think I am sadly past the point of no return here. Once car gets warm after say, 15+ mins of driving, I get major stumbling issues at idle. It really shakes the car. But under load it's fine, leads me to believe it is NOT a missfire. But more likely related to the Eccentric Shaft Sensor being buggered...

If that's the case I need to re do the whole lot. It'll be a new valve cover, likely a Febi one. New sensor and then hope that solves it.

Reactions: M3AN
21 - 35 of 35 Posts