1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Realistically speaking, the cars on which this upgrade is available are fast enough. The only people who would pay for it are those who don't recognise this and end up wanting a car that is too fast for the roads on which it will be driven - you just wouldn't be able to use its available power. That's who they're taking advantage of.

Everyone else just gets the car they'd have gotten anyway - whether the upgrade was available or not. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't think so, paying £75k for a car to then find out it's deliberately hobbled unless you pay an extra subscription charge is ridiculous and if it works it trickles down. The aim for them will be getting you to pay for range on electric cars, they'll sell you a car that can do 300 miles on a charge but cap it at 200 miles saying people don't always need the range so the subscription is there for those 'one off trips'.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
I don't think so, paying £75k for a car to then find out it's deliberately hobbled unless you pay an extra subscription charge is ridiculous and if it works it trickles down. The aim for them will be getting you to pay for range on electric cars, they'll sell you a car that can do 300 miles on a charge but cap it at 200 miles saying people don't always need the range so the subscription is there for those 'one off trips'.
I would argue a 118d is a 'hobbled' 120d in that case? But yes - if they had made the same upgrade thing available for range rather than speed, I'd be furious.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Realistically speaking, the cars on which this upgrade is available are fast enough.
Realistically speaking, a Dacia Sandero will get you safely from A to B so why do you own a BMW? ;)

Ive just bought an Audi eTron that lists a fair amount more than the smaller battery model entirely as its faster - range is actually less - and this isnt really any different, particularly on a 3 year PCP or whatever. A quick check shows the B48 comes in no less than 12 different specs with different power output, youre just paying at the front end rather than over3 years of ownership.

The main issue I can see here is the price isnt fixed and can be potentially be increased year on year, its also a bit unfair if its still $1200 a year when the car is 5 years old and on its 3rd owner, will these costs reduce in line with the car value?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Put it this way, if the government tried to impose a £1200 a year acceleration tax the members of BMW and I suspect Mercedes\VAG forums would be trying to burn down parliament.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I am sure at some point (if its not done already) there will be remaps available for EV's which will negate the need for this subscription, probably be more useable by those who are out of warranty to stop it from invalidating it but for within the warranty period, this could be a good thing as it would mean people can have essentially a remap that is manufacturer approved without invalidating your warranty.

If instead of doing this, they bought out another version of the same car with increased accelaration that was say 10K more, would you still think its a bad idea? this will mean streamlining the manufacturing process and they can essentially have 1 model with different maps/range. As long as they pass on the cost savings, it could be a good thing.

·
Administrator
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would argue a 118d is a 'hobbled' 120d in that case?
If you're buying a base model, you understand it's not going to be as fast as the models above it because it needs to meet a lower pricepoint.

Think about the E8x 125i - it's turned down from the factory to create a bigger gulf between it and the 135i. But the 135i also comes with more equipment as standard, and it's a totally different engine. With what Merc are doing, the hardware is identical.

As long as they pass on the cost savings, it could be a good thing.
They've built the car, set the price, then decided to gimp it purely to sell that performance back to those who pay. Those who don't pay don't get a discount, they just get a gimped product. No savings are being passed on here.

On the warranty point, bear in mind that EVs have a battery warranty as well as the normal vehicle warranty. The battery warranty lasts a lot longer, usually 8-10 years. If you want to turn up the power, the only way to do that without affecting the warranty would be to buy a car that's already got a battery which is approaching dead – then subjecting it to even more stress. Doesn't seem like a sensible idea lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts