Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to take my 66-plate F46 2-series Gran Tourer to local dealer on Friday, as the iDrive system has gone into a constant reboot loop. The screen comes on for a minute or so, but I can't do anything with it (turn on radio, display sat nav map etc.). Then the screen goes black and it reboots again. And again and again….
I have it booked in for a repair at BMW on 12th January.
The guy on the BMW service desk told me he has seen a few of these cases recently, including also with 1-Series. He said that sometimes they can fix it just by reloading all the iDrive software, but sometimes it requires a brand new iDrive head unit. Fortunately I took out a BMW extended warranty, so whatever it requires, it shouldn't cost me any more than my £100 excess on the warranty claim.
The guy said it's still safe to drive, until I get it fixed.
Just wondering whether anybody else has had a similar issue?

· Registered
325 Posts
Yup i've had this issue (on an f20) and i'm aware of a few others on the forum (albeit mostly 1 series guys as that's where i spend my time). Problem seems to be so poorly documented that even the BMW software instantly says replace the headunit when it pops up. I was able to fix mine (and a few other peoples now) by updating the headunit although I have come across a couple (and heard similar from others) that couldn't be fixed this way and were ultimately fixed by replacing the whole thing.... not a cheap job.

I was led to believe there's a bug in the software pre 2018 (actually more like mid 2017) that causes this, most likely some kind of memory issue. That makes sense when updating the software fixes it but god only knows what physically fails within the unit when that isn't the case :?:

Good job you have the warranty!

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Meado,
I had it fixed today by my local BMW dealer. They just had to re-install the iDrive software. I just had to pay the £100 excess on my extended warranty. I asked how much it costs to have the complete head unit replaced, and he said it would have been over £1000.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yup i've had this issue (on an f20) and i'm aware of a few others on the forum (albeit mostly 1 series guys as that's where i spend my time). Problem seems to be so poorly documented that even the BMW software instantly says replace the headunit when it pops up. I was able to fix mine (and a few other peoples now) by updating the headunit although I have come across a couple (and heard similar from others) that couldn't be fixed this way and were ultimately fixed by replacing the whole thing.... not a cheap job.

I was led to believe there's a bug in the software pre 2018 (actually more like mid 2017) that causes this, most likely some kind of memory issue. That makes sense when updating the software fixes it but god only knows what physically fails within the unit when that isn't the case :?:

Good job you have the warranty!
Hi Meado,

You mentioned that you fixed some head units by updating them. Could you post how you achieved this? Where did you get the update from? How did you install it?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts