Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iDrive says I am not due a major service and brake fluid change until 2024. I have an inspection service due this month and an oil service in due in 3k miles, which I find a little odd. It got me nervous, so I asked my dealer to provide me with the invoices for the past services, which I thought were supplied in my purchase pack, but weren't.

The dealer has no invoices of the major service and brake fluid being done due to some system issue (how convenient) and a trusted indie BMW service centre says he can't find these services that my iDrive says are "OK" recorded on the BMW service logs, so as far as BMW or anyone else knows, the last oil service was in 2018 (!). I'm concerned the services weren't done and the dealer,or previous owner before he handed the car back, simply reset the service intervals on iDrive.

Is there an easy way for me or someone else to check if the major service and brake fluid change were actually done? If they were, it'll save me on the order of £400, which I'd prefer to keep hold of if I can!

Cheers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's on your in car idrive, It will be a 5 digit number next to each service and will represent the dealer code for the dealer that carried out the service.
The iDrive says the major engine/brake fluid services aren't due until 2023/2024 but there's only one actual service on iDrive service history logs. The dealer told me all the paperwork was up-to-date and supplied in the purchase pack and the car has full service history. I am now a bit confused and dubious since the first service states it was done in 2019 (2 years after the car hit the roads, which makes sense), so there should be a service in 2021 which isn't recorded on the iDrive service history. Since the iDrive says it doesn't expect an oil service is needed until 2024, that means a service was done in 2022. iDrive should say I need to service the engine oil in 2023 at the latest with the 24-month/conditional servicing, so it's gotten me concerned that perhaps the 2022 services weren't actually done and instead the previous owner (or his mate, or even the dealer) somehow reset the service intervals through iDrive to save the cash. This is why I was curious if there's any advice on how to visually check if services were done, as they should have been done fairly recently.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So condition based servicing i.e pads oil etc you can reset yourself either manually or using a mobile tool like Bimmerlink. There's nothing necessarily there to say it's been done.

For one second I don't believe BMW has lost any service history, what they have done is forgotten to update the idrive. Why they then can't recall it as when it's written to the idrive it's then also updated on BMW's servers.

I've rang up BMW before for a car I was interested in buying, provided the VIN and asked them for the service history details and they emailed me over a couple of pages with details on the car including any recalls it has had.

I've had a look online and can't find that specific dealer code as to it's location but if they're not playing ball i'd give another local dealer a call and ask for the service history.

The cars do tend to have long "condition based" service schedules like you've noted and most people will have interim services done on their car (i.e. every 10,000 miles oil change, filter change, cabin filter change etc) pads aren't too bad and discs as it's a very visual inspection.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If a service was done after 2019, it was not done by BMW or an independent who knows how to update idrive.

As far as I'm concerned that car has incomplete service history.

It is really easy to reset the indicator, but then nothing will show up on idrive.

Without receipts, I would be getting a service done asap (at least an oil and filter change). The second service is a very expensive one at around £600+, and I wouldn't just assume it was done. Spark plugs do tend to give symptoms when they need to be changed and don't cause damage, so you don't necessarily have to change them now if the mileage is especially low. The vehicle check service due at the same time can be important as bolts are checked and tightened if needed from memory.

Unlike what the poster above is trying to convince you, most people do not do interim services.

When did the dealer acquire the vehicle? How many previous owners?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If a service was done after 2019, it was not done by BMW or an independent who knows how to update idrive.

As far as I'm concerned that car has incomplete service history.

It is really easy to reset the indicator, but then nothing will show up on idrive.

Without receipts, I would be getting a service done asap. The second service is a very expensive one at around £600+, and I wouldn't just assume it was done.

Unlike what the poster above is trying to convince you, most people do not do interim services.

When did the dealer acquire the vehicle? How many previous owners?
Believe me, any enthusiast with a car like that won't be waiting 2 years or 20+ thousand miles to do an oil change.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Believe me, any enthusiast with a car like that won't be waiting 2 years or 20+ thousand miles to do an oil change.
To my shame, I have not changed the oil in my car apart from when BMW service it. I want to, but am scared of breaking the oil filter. Must be braver!.....or get an indie to do it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Even the OP has given direct evidence showing the car was only serviced after 2 years.

My car has also only been serviced per the schedule. Worked out at 18 months for first and 24 months for second service.

Last time I checked I don't engineer, design and test engines. I'll stick with what BMW say.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I don’t believe you, that is nonsense. Most owners happily follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. As noted above very few in here bother with interims and this place represents a tiny fraction of owners who are enthusiasts. In the real world people do what they are told by the manufacture, or less when, it’s cheaper that way.

Regarding the OP Car, it looks awfully like the previous owner skipped the major 36k/4 mile service and fudged the idrive to remove the indicators which isn’t hard. I would take it up with the selling dealer. They owe you a service IMO. It’s probably on the original plugs and 4 year old oil. A lot of services were skipped during Covid lockdowns.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the help. I spoke to BMW servicing and they said they couldn't find any data on their systems that wasn't already on the car. They advised I take the key in to have it scanned as they might not have had the key logged for a while, which I did just now. No change there, sadly. However, I had a look at the air filter and it's brand new, and the oil looks nice and fresh. I might try to see if I can find the previous owner and ask which garage he had it done at so they can print me the invoices.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cheers for the help. I spoke to BMW servicing and they said they couldn't find any data on their systems that wasn't already on the car. They advised I take the key in to have it scanned as they might not have had the key logged for a while, which I did just now. No change there, sadly. However, I had a look at the air filter and it's brand new, and the oil looks nice and fresh. I might try to see if I can find the previous owner and ask which garage he had it done at so they can print me the invoices.
Did a BMW dealer sell you the car? You didn't say.

If it was serviced as you are suggesting, I doubt it was by BMW, which in itself isn't a problem as long as it was done.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I would never trust the idrive as a record of the cars service history as a dealer can simply forget to update it. I had this on the second service and only realised months later. I just left it to the next service to get the idrive updated correctly. Regardless of what is on the idrive BMW will have the service history at their end and if they say they have no record then they haven't serviced the car.

Wasn't the service history checked at time of purchase?

As I do very little mileage I base the servicing on time than distance covered.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did a BMW dealer sell you the car? You didn't say.

If it was serviced as you are suggesting, I doubt it was by BMW, which in itself isn't a problem as long as it was done.
No, it was a garage. I do think the services were done - the car runs fine, the oil looks clean and the air filter is brand new. I've had it since April and done about 4k miles in it. I will check the spark plugs myself just to be sure, and then ask the dealer if they can contact the previous owner for me to provide the details of the service centre's they used.

·
Registered
193 Posts
No, it was a garage. I do think the services were done - the car runs fine, the oil looks clean and the air filter is brand new. I've had it since April and done about 4k miles in it. I will check the spark plugs myself just to be sure, and then ask the dealer if they can contact the previous owner for me to provide the details of the service centre's they used.
Then there will be no record and they are likely told you anything to just sell you the car. When it wasn't in the purchase pack you should have queried it immediately. They misadvertised and missold you the car.

The previous center will not find anything any BMW dealer couldn't find as it is all logged against the vehicle.

The car is beyond any warranty now so it doesn't matter, but without a record you would have problems.

I've had many (non-BMW) dealers try to convince me services were done and i've always phoned BMW to check. When BMW say they have no record, have always walked away. The dealers try to convince you that of course it was done, with zero proof. There are plenty of cars, don't need to gamble with an uncertain history.

If you were ever to sell the car, then you can be sure you will be bid down. The older the car gets, the less relevant this is though. Also as long as the oil was changed, I'd leave it. Spark plugs and air filters etc. in reality can be changed once they are worn rather than on an exact schedule and from the sounds of things they may have been done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Regardless of what the iDrive says, it should always be able to be backed up by good old paperwork. I'm currently driving my first BMW with iDrive and while searching for the car I was insistent that it came with paperwork that backed up the service history. I walked away from some apparent 'bargains' but was happy to do so.

I appreciate that both the iDrive and the paperwork can be manipulated or be faked but where do you stop? This is an industry wide problem yet most manufacturers don't care and will refute any claim. That's the way they make most of their profits - from servicing and repairs - not the vehicle sale.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My iDrive says I am not due a major service and brake fluid change until 2024. I have an inspection service due this month and an oil service in due in 3k miles, which I find a little odd. It got me nervous, so I asked my dealer to provide me with the invoices for the past services, which I thought were supplied in my purchase pack, but weren't.

The dealer has no invoices of the major service and brake fluid being done due to some system issue (how convenient) and a trusted indie BMW service centre says he can't find these services that my iDrive says are "OK" recorded on the BMW service logs, so as far as BMW or anyone else knows, the last oil service was in 2018 (!). I'm concerned the services weren't done and the dealer,or previous owner before he handed the car back, simply reset the service intervals on iDrive.

Is there an easy way for me or someone else to check if the major service and brake fluid change were actually done? If they were, it'll save me on the order of £400, which I'd prefer to keep hold of if I can!

Cheers.
My daughter had a missing service on her Cooper s,she didn't realize until it was going in on a part exchange,she was then bid down on her car because of this, after speaking to mini(as it was sold as an approved used)it was still under the year warranty,mini bought it back in and gave her the full purchase price after 10 months because all approved used mini/bmw are sold as part of the deal as having a full service history.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts