Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Basically I've neen searching for a BMW m235i, I've been wanting to get one for quite a while now!
I'd never considered IT but came across one that's a cat s (accident/damaged). The seller is a company that take such cars off the insurance companies and resell them so don't have to much info apart from what paperwork it come with.

I was set to go view/purchase the car, but I asked about the service history, he said the idrive shows up as having had TWO services!
Now bare in mind it's a 2014 with 76k, it's had one owner since new, so would assume been well taken care off!?

Would there be reasons full details don't come up on the idrive, or has the owner of the car completely neglected it since buying it?

Thanks in Advanced, I hope to be a regular member on here soon enough :giggle:

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Don't touch it, neglected and crashed car....Oh, and welcome to the forum. No reason why the i-drive would not show services unless taken to an unapproved service garage.....think cheap oil, Chinese filters. Better cars to look at as the high petrol costs loom.

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole mate.

76k, and category S - especially with respect to the type of car that it is - makes it very difficult to sell in the future (especially after you've put some more miles on it).

With regards to the lack of iDrive service history, it doesn't necessarily mean they've used poor quality items to service it with but it does mean there isn't a service record that you can guarantee to be genuine as it obviously won't be able to be backed up by BMW.

For future reference, one owner cars look good on paper but in actuality, if that one owner has neglected it, the car won't have been looked after since day 1. At least with 2-3 owners, it is more likely that at least one of those 2-3 will have maintained it properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity, is there an actual reason apart from the obvious, that on the idrive it only shows having had only 2 services via the dealers throughout its life?

I can't get my head around how you'd buy brand new car like, and not bother to service it for soo long whilst putting on soo much mileage....
Can it actually be a mistake?

·
Super Moderator
65,171 Posts
Someone might have been doing DIY services on the driveway, and resetting the countdown themselves?? Without history (paper, or iDrive) you’ll never know what they’ve been up to.

There are plenty of cherished cars out there, there’s no way I’d consider a heavily crashed pup. Run fast and run far.

·
Registered
E82 135i/1m ,2018 240i
13,875 Posts
Cheapest 240i I found when I was looking was 15/16k for cat s ( pre lci )and no history ? A complete high risk gamble and too expensive gamble to take
So I looked further and paid 23(18my lci ) for a clean full bmw history the spec I wanted with warranty erc from bmw /

No point starting off with a dog unless it's cheap enough to be worth the risk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts