Baby BMW Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
So how do you access Sports mode via the gearshift like you used to by pushing it to the left (in a RHD car)
There are push buttons for Sport, etc., but possibly those are just for the suspension settings.
In short, I do not know. :lol2:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
There are push buttons for Sport, etc., but possibly those are just for the suspension settings.
In short, I do not know. :lol2:
There's always been push buttons for the various driving modes, but you can also push the current gear shift to the left & it puts the transmission into Sport mode.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Taken from inside the new 3 series, but it appears to be the same design
Yes, the two cars interiors are identical.
Good question about the transmission mode, and I do not know the answer.
The e-brochures for both cars still give the old interior details.
There seems to be an "S" next to the "D" after a slash, so maybe that's where the Sport enabler is?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Yes, the two cars interiors are identical.
Good question about the transmission mode, and I do not know the answer.
The e-brochures for both cars still give the old interior details.
There seems to be an "S" next to the "D" after a slash, so maybe that's where the Sport enabler is?
Ah, good point - well spotted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ah, good point - well spotted.
I'm saying this as a "probably" way to change from Drive mode to Sport mode on the gearbox: the selector will flick rearwards to enter Drive from park/neutral; to access Sport, it will be another flick rearwards. To then go back to Drive, it will be another flick rearwards. There may be a double step on the flick motion, similar to current lever action?

Reactions: Semerka

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Intriguing! 🙂
The 992 generation 911s with PDK have a "M" button under the "P" button to change to manual gear shifting via the steering wheel paddles:

Communication Device Gadget Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Mobile phone

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm saying this as a "probably" way to change from Drive mode to Sport mode on the gearbox: the selector will flick rearwards to enter Drive from park/neutral; to access Sport, it will be another flick rearwards. To then go back to Drive, it will be another flick rearwards. There may be a double step on the flick motion, similar to current lever action?
Thinking about the other BMW released with the new style gear 'lever' (the iX) - from its manual (substitute the B mode for S mode):
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Office supplies

And I'd agree the manual mode will only be selected by the paddles now, since that tiny lever doesn't appear to have any options for giving the up/down gear changes by rearward/forward action - plus imagine trying to use that as a means of doing it - ugh!

Reactions: Fidiman and J400uk

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Thinking about the other BMW released with the new style gear 'lever' (the iX) - from its manual (substitute the B mode for S mode):
View attachment 17179
And I'd agree the manual mode will only be selected by the paddles now, since that tiny lever doesn't appear to have any options for giving the up/down gear changes by rearward/forward action - plus imagine trying to use that as a means of doing it - ugh!
Good find, thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So how do you access Sports mode via the gearshift like you used to by pushing it to the left (in a RHD car)
You pull down the new selector again - D/S. pull again to return to drive. The M240i also has ‘Sprint mode’. You hold down the downshift paddle and put your foot down. Sprint mode appears and the gearbox is in sport +. Hold down the upshift paddle for a second or two and it returns to what ever drive mode you were in before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dealers in the UK/EU are a bit miffed at BMW for doing this interior facelift so shortly after UK/EU release. Apparently its causing a lot of customer complaints, along with delivery times.

Reactions: andip85

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dealers in the UK/EU are a bit miffed at BMW for doing this interior facelift so shortly after UK/EU release. Apparently its causing a lot of customer complaints, along with delivery times.
Can imagine why - especially as people will have ordered with iDrive 7.. Its a deal breaker for me, have a meeting to discuss my order this weekend - but all being well have another option that'll work out ok!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coming from a Merc i did find the ID7 screens a bit last gen and dark, the old gear select was also a bit dated , my dealer was saying they had no idea of the update to ID8 and they had a customer collected there car that just days before BMW announced the change , the dealers phone has been busy with early owners that are not happy & people that have cars coming before & after the update , unbelievable really .

41 - 54 of 54 Posts