Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car with Comfort Access so that the car would lock when I walked away - my choice because that way I'd always know it was locked if I had the key. But there's a downside; I filled up with petrol last night and went to pay and, because I had the key with me, the car locked. This would have been OK except that my wife was in the car and she set the car alarm off as she tried to unlock the car and I didn't notice because I was in the shop waiting to pay. Not only that but she found that she couldn't unlock the car. Is this by design? She was in the car but, not only would the passenger door not open by pulling the handle, nor would the unlock button on the driver's door do anything. She was, very effectively, held prisoner. Have I missed something here? She quite reasonably asked me what would have happened if I'd left her there to go shopping and it had been a hot day. She'd have been trapped there with no means of getting out and no means of opening the windows. How does one unlock the car from the inside if the driver has locked it and walked away?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Is there not instructions to override it in the manual? Usually it's a long hold of the unlock button or a combination of holding unlock and pulling the door handle in most cars.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
It’s always been like that afaik. In a proper emergency, I.e if she really was locked in a hot car all day (on the 1 hot day a year we get here! 😂 ) then she could remove on of the headrests and use the sharp metal point to either smash the window, or to pry the window and break it that way.

• Haha
Reactions: andip85
1 - 4 of 4 Posts