Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps,
I have a 116i but i assume that this would be similar to 118 and 120is. I posted a few months back about my car overheating.
Yesterday I blew a coolant hose causing coolant to go everyhwere in a cloud of steam.I was EXTREMELY lucky as there was a garage 400m down the road and i took it to them and got it sorted- the car had around 50% of coolant left at this time and although it seems bad to read because it is an aluminium engine im almost 99% certain that no damage was done internally as I set off in 2nd and put the car in neutral letting it roll.

My car only overheats in the summer. I went out and tested the car yesterday, getting the car VERY hot - like 120c stationary. I did this to get the fans to try and kick in and lo and behold my fan did not kick in and the yellow coolant temperature warning light came on.

Now there is three things that could be causing this:
Either my fan is shot, the switch is bad (near the expansion tank on the right) or there is an issue with wiring.

I checked my temps using the OBC menu and the temp light came on around 120c and went at 115c.

Last time I checked my fuses are all good for the fan.

Does anyone know how I can test to see if it is my fan?
Ive seen videos on e46s and e36s and on a e92 325i - well he showed me the part but didnt check it.

Ive searched through the forums here and I cant seem to find any real guide on this.

Can anyone help with my issue please?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I got it fixed with a genuine BMW part and antifreeze has been filled up and bled so no air bubbles in the system and it was the hose from the water pump to the cylinder head or in that area- the connection just went kaboom!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The radiator fan can be tested/triggered with Ista+ / Rheingold diagnostic software.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Or, if you don't have the software, just bridge the pins to the temp switch, that should activate the fan, if the fan works your temp switch is broken, if the fan doesn't activate then you have a fan or circuit failure.

Be sure to check the fuses first though! Could be that simple.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It’s unlikely you have an actual fan switch anymore as it will be controlled by the DME based off the main coolant temp sensor
If you pm me or post here the last 7 of your vin number il try finding a wiring diagram for you so you can test it

·
Registered
156 Posts
It may not work, but on my e46 you could test the fan by switching on the A/C. If the fan kicked in with the a/c on meant the fan motor was working and you could narrow down to a temp switch somewhere. Like I say could be completely irrelevant and non applicable.

·
Registered
598 Posts
^^^

It's applicable and a good suggestion. On my car the fan activates only when warmed up at the time the A/C is switched on, obvious but just thought to mention it.
If you don't have ISTA and can't be bothered downloading / using it, you can get various OBD scanners with bi- directional testing abilities which test pumps, windows and cooling fans amongst other things. They are typically around the £100 plus mark.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or, if you don't have the software, just bridge the pins to the temp switch, that should activate the fan, if the fan works your temp switch is broken, if the fan doesn't activate then you have a fan or circuit failure.

Be sure to check the fuses first though! Could be that simple.
Hi guys, my notifications were off. I bridged the the pins and there was nothing. so I assume it is a bad fan and not the switch

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may not work, but on my e46 you could test the fan by switching on the A/C. If the fan kicked in with the a/c on meant the fan motor was working and you could narrow down to a temp switch somewhere. Like I say could be completely irrelevant and non applicable.
Hi, It seems to be the case like this for the e90s and e87s I think. My fan did not turn on when ac was on as it should

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^

It's applicable and a good suggestion. On my car the fan activates only when warmed up at the time the A/C is switched on, obvious but just thought to mention it.
If you don't have ISTA and can't be bothered downloading / using it, you can get various OBD scanners with bi- directional testing abilities which test pumps, windows and cooling fans amongst other things. They are typically around the £100 plus mark.
Wait a second now it all makes sense! I dont have ac. I thought it was a bad AC switch- so i had it changed. No avail after a regas. I took it to halfrauds and they said it was a compressor. Now putting 2 and 2 together- It might be my fan that was actaully shot. Reason being when I turned my AC on the revs climb. The fan on my car has never been heard and I presume that these 2 are linked due to the fan not working and the ac not blowing at all....hmmmm...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s unlikely you have an actual fan switch anymore as it will be controlled by the DME based off the main coolant temp sensor
If you pm me or post here the last 7 of your vin number il try finding a wiring diagram for you so you can test it
yes i have the temp switch thing near the expansion tank below it. I and upon bridging them to try and get the fan to switch on nothing. I got it really hot and nothing as well.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have also ordered a fan as of now and I will have it tomorrow. Its off another car and I will be swapping my fan out to see if it works in a few days- hopefully it solves the issue as I have had no AC which I put down to a bad compressor although it kicked after taking the people at halfrauds word for it.

Hopefully I can fix this now- as a side note I forgot to turn my notfications on so I checked now and found this many replies and assuming all was lost I fixed my vanos seal leaks and cleaned both solenoids.

Again thanks to all for their information, I will keep you all posted if It fixes the issue :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all I have fixed the issue it turns out that my old fan was so corroded and beat up after the previous (6 owners) neglect that It never worked. I have put a new fan in- second hand- and it now works as it should and comes on when hot and I disconnected the temp sensor-switch for the fan and started the car from cold and it came on at full blast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts