Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Alpine White F44.
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new F44 didn’t come with the high beam assist function activated. I can switch the feature on through the BMW Connect Store for £200.
Simple question. Is it worth it ???
I had a nighttime drive earlier in the week and the headlights are awesome in their standard form.

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
I've had it on two of my vehicles, and I can't say I've ever used it. It's not any good on typical motorways as there is a near-constant detection of other vehicles. On a normal 30mph road there is usually enough street lighting for it not to be needed.

People who do use it have done so on 50/60mph country roads, and have often said it causes them to receive 'flashes' from other drivers who have been blinded due to the system not working quickly enough. Personally it is for this reason I wouldn't bother, especially for £200 which is extortionate for a feature that is only sometimes useful and on some roads.

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
I retrofitted the camera from a mid 2010s X6 to my 130, living out in the sticks it's great. Perfectly capable on rural roads, handles the transitions between lit/unlit well. Now it's finished the self-calibration, it's as quick as I am other than when cars are on weird approach angles.

Could be worth asking if enabling HBA would give you anti-glare high beam/voodoo lights? In lots of models the adaptive light units whether LED or xenon already contain the hardware, speccing HBA was the final piece of the puzzle. No idea if that applies to your car, or if the units still contain the necessary bits post-chip shortage...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wouldn’t bother, I really don’t think it’s worth the money. It just recently gone up in price too it was £150. BMW generally do a Black Friday sale so wait till then if you do decide you want it

·
Registered
19 Posts
My new F44 didn’t come with the high beam assist function activated. I can switch the feature on through the BMW Connect Store for £200.
I had a nighttime drive earlier in the week and the headlights are awesome in their standard form.
You cant activate by coding?

Enviado desde mi SM-G988B mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
As has been said above, I would wait until the Black Friday Sale and purchase it then, if you want it.

Personally I turned the feature on the day I got the car, and have never turned it off (though I have had to reactivate as it has occasionally turned off of its own accord).

It has always worked flawlessly and I have never been flashed by an oncoming driver.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have found HBA works well on the occasions that I choose to use it. It helps reduce the driver’s workload when desired, like cruise control and automatic windscreen wiper control. Waiting until Black Friday is a good idea if you do want to ‘treat yourself’.

·
Super Moderator
921 Posts
I had the older version on my 135i (just dip / main switching) and it was 90% flawless. I live in a fairly rural area.

I have it also on my M2C and it's nuts, actually a little distracting when the beam pattern is waving around, blocking oncoming and vehicles in front. It works well though in my opinion, I just need to learn to ignore it and let it do its thing. When the autumn / winter comes back around and I'm driving to and from work in the dark, I'll likely use it all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is SO much money for a software feature already in your car!

My car has it. My wife's car has it. Yes, it's neat if I remember to activate it (and she doesn't), but remembering to flick high beam on or off - is that rocket science?

·
Super Moderator
921 Posts
It's definitely in the "gadget for the sake of it" column. I wouldn't have spec'd it (or paid for it) if my car didn't already have it. It's kinda cool, but not £200's worth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts