Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been pointed out that the new software has done away with the old user titles that would change automatically as you clocked up more posts. We can't get them back, but we can replace them with 'trophies' that show on your profile, and increase the score shown when hovering over someone's avatar or name. They can be automatically awarded based on post count or positive reactions/likes.

The forum trophy cabinet is looking a bit like it belongs to Spurs at the moment :eek2:, but the admins are happy to change this if we come up with a list of the requirements and what the new trophies should be called so... Any suggestions? For post count, I was thinking:

250 - Active (old title)
500 -
750 -
1000 -
2000 - Too Much Time to Waste (old title)
3000 -
4000 -
5000 -
7500 -
10000 -
15000 -
20000 -
50000 - Some sort of comment about wheel fitment in honour of the only person who'll have this one :lol2:

They don't do too much more than bragging rights for now, but the trophies are a way to bring back something we had before, and as with all features will get better with time. Both the requirements/increments and names are all up for discussion, let us know what you think could work.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
250 - No time to waste
500 - Not much time to waste
750 - Some time to waste
1000 - Lots of time to waste
2000 - Too Much Time to Waste
3000 - Waaay too much time to waste
4000 - Needs to get out more
5000 - Needs to get a job
7500 - Needs to get a life
10000 - Wasting your life on here
15000 - Forum Legend
20000 - Forum Master
50000 - Forum God

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There used to be somewhere a post count leaderboard and date joined?
Post count leaderboard is here Notable members

On a serious note about the spam though, it hasn't been a massive problem before with the old user titles, but if it turns out that trophies open the floodgates then it'll serve me right for suggesting it!!

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Post count leaderboard is here Notable members

On a serious note about the spam though, it hasn't been a massive problem before with the old user titles, but if it turns out that trophies open the floodgates then it'll serve me right for suggesting it!!
Nah nobody is that sad……hopefully lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's been pointed out that the new software has done away with the old user titles that would change as you clocked up more posts. We can't get them back, but we can replace them with 'trophies' that show on your profile... Except the forum trophy cabinet is looking a bit like it belongs to Spurs at the moment :eek2:

The admins are happy to change this if we come up with a list of the requirements and what the new trophies should be called. Any suggestions? I was thinking...

250 - Active (old title)
500 -
750 -
1000 -
2000 - Too Much Time to Waste (old title)
3000 -
4000 -
5000 -
7500 -
10000 -
15000 -
20000 -
50000 - Some sort of comment about wheel fitment in honour of the only person who'll have this one :lol2:

They don't do too much more than bragging rights at the moment, but apparently the feature is being worked on and other rewards are in the pipeline!
I still think this is going to encourage spam posts for members to get their count up. Shouldn't this be based on whether other people like the post? Then again that can be biased if you have a big circle of friends on the forum.
Personally, I think the 'doing away' with the old user titles was a terrible oversight when the forum was updated. Just IMO.

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still think this is going to encourage spam posts for members to get their count up. Shouldn't this be based on whether other people like the post? Then again that can be biased if you have a big circle of friends on the forum.
Personally, I think the 'doing away' with the old user titles was a terrible oversight when the forum was updated. Just IMO.
We can have them for likes/reactions too :)

Fair cop on the spam point. As I said above though, it didn't seem to be an issue before, and the user titles were a lot more visible than profile trophies 🤷‍♂️ Do you think having less of them would help?

I was a fan of the old titles, but they weren't perfect. A few hundred posts used to earn you the "Knowledgeable Member" title, didn't matter if you spent 75% of your time winding people up, you'd still get "Knowledgable" right next to your name!

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
I think if members started spamming posts to get their count up, it's likely to be noticed by one of us, reported and stopped pretty quickly. The awards system is definitely more aimed at our long-term members who won't have the 'need' to spam posts to get to the next level.

An awards system based on reactions could be good - how would you feel we could implement this? Alongside a posts-based system, instead-of, or even a system which considers both together? I feel the latter of the three could be way to 'reduce the gap' slightly between each level (as an alternative to reducing the number of them) but let us know your thoughts.

·
Registered
592 Posts
How about a something to recognise "time served" as a babybmw.net member, perhaps at intervals, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years and so on. Founder Member, long timer etc.

Would be really nice to see that alongside count trophies.

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
How about a something to recognise "time served" as a babybmw.net member, perhaps at intervals, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years and so on. Founder Member, long timer etc.

Would be really nice to see that as much as something earned purely by post count.
We'd have to come up with something special for yours Dave! 2007 :oops:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Watch this space on time served! We're limited to post count and positive reactions for the moment.
Unless you ask to leave the forum you are always a member though. Nice touch to recognise loyalty but you could of posted twice in 2007 and be a founder member.
Obviously no dig at Dave1 intended but is looking at last active going to be considered?

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unless you ask to leave the forum you are always a member though. Nice touch to recognise loyalty but you could of posted twice in 2007 and be a founder member.
Obviously no dig at Dave1 intended but is looking at last active going to be considered?
I'm with you on that! With trophies it was up to us to create them and set the limits for posts/likes, so I'd imagine it will be the same when more options are made available.

Because the site owners also own the software itself there are whole teams of people working on building/expanding features that forums ask for, it's not a tin pot affair. FWIW I definitely get the impression they want to reward/recognise long standing active members, not have everyone who signed up in 2004 walking around like this lot:

Footwear Peaked cap Military uniform Military person Musician

When we hear more, so will you 👍

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was going to suggest a play on the lifecycle/growth of a baby, as in BabyBMW, but I mentioned it to MissNismo and she strongly advised against it. I didn’t get why at first, but yup, makes complete sense to err on the side of caution.

So I’ve put this one forward just for S’s and G’s.

100 - Ricky Howard
250 - Dawn Tinsley
500 - Tim Canterbury
1000 - Gareth Keenan
2500 - David Brent
5000 - Neil Godwin
10000 - Jennifer Taylor-Clarke
25000+ - The Ogg Monster

1 - 20 of 27 Posts