Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
65,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don’t forget to check/adjust your tyre pressures during this 2 day, 40°C heatwave if you’re driving any distance. It’s not impossible that they could become slightly over-inflated, I’ve already let a little air out of mine.

Yes, I know it’s a pain to have to re-inflate them as soon as Wednesday.

I’m packing some extra drinking water and an umbrella too, just in case of a breakdown.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
Only running mine around 28psi currently due to the crappy PS4/PS5 mixed handling issues so should be fine for now. :p

·
Super Moderator
65,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Only running mine around 28psi currently due to the crappy PS4/PS5 mixed handling issues so should be fine for now. :p
I heard through the tyre-vine PS5 were slightly softer than the PS4 (therefore more like the old PS3).

I wouldn’t recommend PS4 fronts and PS5 rears, is that what you’ve mounted?

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
I heard through the tyre-vine PS5 were slightly softer than the PS4 (therefore more like the old PS3).

I wouldn’t recommend PS4 fronts and PS5 rears, is that what you’ve mounted?
Yes, I assumed they were an upgrade for the PS4 as a few of the M3 guys are running them. But they’re not as good as the PS4, and I have terrible swaying around on the motorway again unless I run higher pressure at the front.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This isnt good to hear, I’ve got some new Ps5 going on shortly on the rears , my front Ps4’s have loads of life left in them 😫

·
Super Moderator
65,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
'Tyre Reviews' descrbe them as: "less dynamic handling qualities, with higher levels of understeer"

Asym 6 reviewed very well, lower comfort though due to the stiffer carcass.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
This isnt good to hear, I’ve got some new Ps5 going on shortly on the rears , my front Ps4’s have loads of life left in them 😫
Honestly, don't do it if you've been running PS4 until now, just get PS4 fitted. 😢

I did the same, my front PS4 had 4-5mm tread left so I just got the rear PS5 done and I'm not happy with them at all. It's sloppier and just doesn't have that intense bite or grip that the previous PS4 had when I fitted them. Even in Sport it sometimes bogs down and feels like it's being held back a lot, and the TC light seems to flash way more than the PS4 did, even at much higher speeds. Only Sport+ overcomes this, but still doesn't feel as good as the PS4 did.

The swaying is bad - hard to explain, but in a straight line it feels like the rear is moving left to right when trying to keep it straight - almost like when you have bad crosswinds that are moving the car and have to keep putting micro corrections in. I'm learning to live with it, but at higher speeds I have to keep correcting the steering and it feels awful.

I wish I'd just gone PS4 now instead. I'll have to wait until next year now then swap all 4 - may try GoodYear next time.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
'Tyre Reviews' descrbe them as: "less dynamic handling qualities, with higher levels of understeer"

Think I may swap to the Asym 6 next time.

Although he is correct about how the PS5 sidewalls look - they really do look the business when approaching the car. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Honestly, don't do it if you've been running PS4 until now, just get PS4 fitted. 😢

I did the same, my front PS4 had 4-5mm tread left so I just got the rear PS5 done and I'm not happy with them at all. It's sloppier and just doesn't have that intense bite or grip that the previous PS4 had when I fitted them. Even in Sport it sometimes bogs down and feels like it's being held back a lot, and the TC light seems to flash way more than the PS4 did, even at much higher speeds. Only Sport+ overcomes this, but still doesn't feel as good as the PS4 did.

The swaying is bad - hard to explain, but in a straight line it feels like the rear is moving left to right when trying to keep it straight - almost like when you have bad crosswinds that are moving the car and have to keep putting micro corrections in. I'm learning to live with it, but at higher speeds I have to keep correcting the steering and it feels awful.

I wish I'd just gone PS4 now instead. I'll have to wait until next year now then swap all 4 - may try GoodYear next time.
I’ve allready bought them, there sitting in the shed ready to go on 😩

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
I’ve allready bought them, there sitting in the shed ready to go on 😩
Damn.

I’m even tempted to have Asym 6 fitted, then try selling my ps4 and ps5 as part worns. It’s really made me not like my car now. 😢

It could just be my car though, tracking could be out, or the balancing off. I’ll probably have geo done and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Damn.

I’m even tempted to have Asym 6 fitted, then try selling my ps4 and ps5 as part worns. It’s really made me not like my car now. 😢

It could just be my car though, tracking could be out, or the balancing off. I’ll probably have geo done and see if that fixes it.
Blackcircles have said they will swap them for ps4 for me .

Reactions: OneTwenty

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don’t forget to check/adjust your tyre pressures during this 2 day, 40°C heatwave if you’re driving any distance. It’s not impossible that they could become slightly over-inflated, I’ve already let a little air out of mine.

Yes, I know it’s a pain to have to re-inflate them as soon as Wednesday.

I’m packing some extra drinking water and an umbrella too, just in case of a breakdown.
Plus 10 degrees C increases pressure by 4%. Nothing to worry about. Where I live, we can wake up to 10C and experience over 45C in the middle of the day. I always fill to 38psi/42psi (front/rear) no matter the weather.

I always have water on board. Breakdowns in the bush can kill you. We have a principle of “stay with the car”. It gives you shade and is easier to find.

Take care.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I am in the same bind. Looking to swap MPSS to ASSY6, but then Jonathan mentioned the aquaplaning of the ASSY6 so I was going back to MPS5 then I came here and read these comments 😭😤🤬!!! Lol.

·
Super Moderator
65,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am in the same bind. Looking to swap MPSS to ASSY6, but then Jonathan mentioned the aquaplaning of the ASSY6 so I was going back to MPS5 then I came here and read these comments 😭😤🤬!!! Lol.
I'd be willing to bet Asym6 are less prone to aquaplaning than the 10 year old MPSS design.

MPSS have particularly poor drainage, as I found out the hard way on the M20. o_O

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Some of the comments Jonathan makes is based on tiny margins as generally reviewing top level tyres, he does say he's willing to accept the slightly reduced aquaplaning resistance given the gains in performance elsewhere. Ultimately you're talking 4km/h difference between the best and worst tyres on test so I don't think you're not going to find them hugely different in the real world unless you're regularly blasting through 4mm+ of standing water at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I had a disagreement with Marco about adjusting pressures for temp in another thread yet I notice that is exactly what he suggests here. Go figure...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have only noticed a few PSI difference between pressures at 20ºC and the very hot temps we have been having.

During the very hot days the roads went soft and it felt like driving on partly flat tyres.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts