Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its now the time of year where I'm driving to and from work in the dark!
Are there any advantages of upgrading the standard bulbs with upgraded items? If so which ones and would it be a difficult job? I want to make sure I have the best possible bulbs fitted due to the amount of driving I do in the dark.

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
X-Treme Power available from Auto Best Buy. 10% off using discount code DBVFA77.

Philips Vision Plus or X-Treme Power would be my recommendation. I wouldn't bother with anything else.

If you are going to use the 10% voucher please go direct to the Auto Best Buy site using the link below.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have Osram Nightbreaker H7's on mine (which are supposed to be marginally better than Philips X-treme Powers) and I definetely recommend them. They are much whiter and light the road up significantly better than the standard bulbs.

They also have a slight bluish tint in comparison to the Philips X-treme powers but note that the bulbs are not tinted blue (which is what the 'HID effect' bulbs have which reduces the light output).

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a set of proper genuine bmw h7 upgrade bulbs for sale brand new 35% brighter than standard and retail at just under £60 from dealer they are yours for £35 mate they look well cool with blue bmw logo on the tip :wink:

·
Registered
440 Posts
rsmallwo said:
I've just ordered some Osram Nightbreakers that came with some "free" blueish side light bulbs.

Will try to post pics of the difference.
Pics would be great, I'd like to see the difference, thanks.

130i m rich If you've still got those bulbs, you were going to send me some pics if you've got any, ta.

·
Registered
53 Posts
my fault i forgot all about it will do some pics of them for you, please email me your address again i have deleted all my msgs :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here are some pics side by side I hope.

Left=OEM Lamps
Right=Osram Nightbreakers with Blue 501 side lights.

And with just the sidelights on in complete darkness which no one would ever do........

Will see if i can get a pic of the sidelights in dusk conditions as there abit too blue in pitch black for my liking.

Top tip when replacing the bulbs, When pulling the clip down (as it states in the manual) pull the clip to the left so it comes off its retainer and then down, will save you some pain and time!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
rsmallwo said:
I've just ordered some Osram Nightbreakers that came with some "free" blueish side light bulbs.

Will try to post pics of the difference.
Hi where did you get your bulbs from and how much were they, I'm always keen to get something for free :)
The main bulbs are available on ebay for about £16 incl. delivery, but don't include the side lights.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Can someone tell me if it's easy to change these bulbs by a useless DIY'er?? :oops:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

just done this upgrade and it took me just over an hour and a half to do!! :oops: I'm a good at DIY stuff, but this really tried my patience as there is very little room to manoeuvre behind the headlights, especially the passenger side one. You also need fingertips made of steel as mine are completely shot after attempting this in the freezing cold - doh! The worst part is that you can't get in to see what you're doing so it has to be done by feeling around, but once you have the knack it would be a lot easier. Like the previous comment said, it is much easier when moving the clips to the side (inwards towards the grill) rather than straight down as recommended in the manual. At one point I was on the verge of calling out BMW assist as I just couldn't get the damn bulb out of the casing. All done now and I'm glad to get rid of the yellow effect bulbs!!!
Gaz

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Changed the main, dipped and side light bulbs both sides in under 15min. The 1er is a pretty easy car to replace bulbs on having said that I changed both bulbs on my wife's Swift in less than 5min.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you got a good price on the phillips extreme there.

As I said before, pulling the retaining clip actually up and to one side rather than "down" as descibed in the manual will save you about an hour and some pain.

TBO I haven't noticed loads of improvement but i've found myself "trying" less to see the road if you know what I mean.

These are the ones I got but you can now get the H& bulbs on there own for quid or 2 cheaper

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.