Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi .... have just found out after 3 months of owning my BMW car that I am not the actual registered keeper of the vehicle!! :shock: 3 weeks or so after receiving my car, I contacted my salesman at Halliwell Jones, Chester to enquire why I still hadn't received my V5 Doc. He said that it should be coming from DVLA within the next couple of weeks. Anyway, I left it. 2 days ago, I remembered that I still hadn't received my V5 Doc, so I rang DVLA. DVLA informed me that this was because I wasn't listed as the registered keeper of the vehicle.
I rang the dealer back to enquire what was happening and according to them, it was still registered to Halliwell Jones. I asked them to arrange for the transfer of ownership and what did they do??? Send me the V5 Doc stating that they were the registered keeper of the vehicle and expected me to do the transfer. Shabby service!!!
I put a complaint in with BMW UK and also cc a copy of the complaint to the dealer. In my letter, I expressed my concern that I paid full UK price for a new car but now the logbook would show that I was the 2nd owner. They tried to fob me off by saying that they would give me a letter confirming that it was only registered in their name but that it was a totally brand new car but I am afraid that's not good enough. What do you guys think? Would 2 owners affect the resale value of the vehicle. Yes, admittedly there was minimal mileage on the vehicle when I got it.
This has really gutted me cause of the losses that I could potentially incur i.e. insurance, resale etc.
I had the manager of Halliwell Jones ring me today after receiving my complaint and according to them I gave them consent or was aware that they were going to register the vehicle in their name which is total rubbish!!! I was never told that they were going to register the vehicle in their name and never signed any agreement to that effect!! They've tried to put the blame on me. :cry:
Any suggestions as to what I should do??? 8) Infact, their service was so crap that I never even received a receipt for my purchase. According to them (according to the manager who has been at the dealer for 15 years!! ... so he says in a very condescending manner), they don't issue receipts when money is paid ... instead they issue a purchase invoice!! Rubbish ... never received that either!! :roll: Correct me if I am wrong but a purchase invoice is sent when they want to tell you how much you owe them and a receipt is something they provide when you have paid!!!Who does he think he is kidding!!?
Sorry for being so long winded but I am really wound up and would appreciate any advice :roll: Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long do you have to reject the car?? Why have you chosen the figure £2000?? :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
That would REALLY **** me off - my brand new car registered to someone else (don't suppsoe you got any speeding / parking tickets in that time did you :D :D ).

Especially the fact that the log book now says 2 owners - this is why people are warned against pre-registered cars as it can affect thier re-sale value. In practice I don' tthink it would make much difference but you don't know till you come to sell it and that is beside the point as you now have a second hand car.

The reciept thing is absolutely rubbish too - I got an A4 printed reciept from my dealer for the £15 I spent on the keyring let alone the deposit I paid!!

It is very easy to say be firm, stand up for your self but in practice I know it can be harder.
I'd like to think that if they had done this to me I would take no half measures and would really go to town on them but it is harder to do in practice.

Please keep us posted - I cannot believe the service they have given you.

If they say it is too long to reject the car say that you mentioned it earlier but the dealer informed you that it would be on the way. When you get a new car you assume it is in your name anyway!

If I was in your position I wouldn't want to reject the car as I would probably be quite attached to it by now ect but I woudl be expecting some serious grovelling and a big compensation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have a scanner, scan each letter for your own benefit, send via e-mail to BMW Customer Service, and to Chester Trading Standards. Do it immediately (with a 'recieved message' tag).

Time is in your hands, but only for a very limited period of time.

Doing it that way shows that you really have the documents and mean business.

Once you involve the media (Watchdog (to other nations, this is a TV consumer programme with teeth!), local radio in Chester or wherever), it can force the business in a direction neither of you would want to go.

Giving the company one more chance (with a specified time limit) lets them dig themselves out of the hole.

Do some research to find out the name of the MD, or the CEO.

The lack of proper paperwork is criminal. Imagine if you didn't have the right paperwork with you- you'd be the one in the wrong!

Disgraceful- we pay enough for the car and expect good service. To be fair, we mostly get it (we have-so far- from our Spanish dealer and from BMW HQ), so we have no complaints.

According to the site above, there are others that share your opinion of this dealersh1t.

Is a site written by someone who has had problems with BMW HQ.

Go get 'em, and don't let them off the hook! :evil: (x 10)

Amigo 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, that shows why BMW is going to sack 20% of their UK dealers next year... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
To me that looks like they have sold you a dealer demo car! They are not allowed to sell them within the first 3 months of ownership.. And, they get a discount for doing it.. How quickly did you get your car? did you get a huge discount?

What they have done is FRAUD.. They have DEFRAUDED you and BMW GB..

·
Administrator
1,102 Posts
AndyB said:
To me that looks like they have sold you a dealer demo car! They are not allowed to sell them within the first 3 months of ownership.. And, they get a discount for doing it.. How quickly did you get your car? did you get a huge discount?

What they have done is FRAUD.. They have DEFRAUDED you and BMW GB..
If that may be the case, does the the reg book have a registered date on it? Is it way before when you "became" the owner?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Drop the car at dealership. Drop the keys on the desk of the manager. Get a mate to witness the actual handing away of keys. Leave a letter of rejection with the keys, which should also say that you demand a courtesy car until a new ordered car can be delivered (otherwise, they should in addition compensate for out-of-pocket expenses). Tell them that you have stopped your insurance on the car. Leave calmly.

Be very courteous and polite. Do not speak too much. Always smile.

That will make them panic.

P.S. they may try your nerves by laughing you off initially then staying quiet for a couple of days. Don't worry. They will crack sooner or later

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lisa, I'd cut the dealer out now.. If they have missold you a demo car without your knowledge, they have conned BMW GB out of money too.. Call BMW, ask to speak to a supervisor in Customer Services and explain the story... Someone should help you..

Save all the threats of this, that and the other until you get nowhere with CS...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a quick update ... when I rang the BMW manager at Halliwell Jones the following day to let him know I had the V5 Document ... I think he was absolutely gutted. :x Anyway, he's asked me to hang on to it for the meantime and he'll ring me on Thursday to meet up. I don't know what he's got to say but I'll be preparing myself. My next step before Thursday is to get in touch with What Cars magazine to see if they'll take up the case.
Incidentally, when I was looking through all my paperwork yesterday .... my eyes lit up as the only thing I've sign to date is a "NEW VEHICLE CONTRACT" .... not a used vehicle contract therefore meaning I should be the only owner!! I certainly think I've got a good case. :)
Also, what AndyB said is probably right as the car was registered on the 30/12 in their name and up to today (10/4), the car is still registered in their name!! Thanks ... Andy for that tip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd let BMW try to sort this out before you go tactical (what car, autocar etc)

Can you give us some dates please Lisa.

When did you pick the car up?

When did you order it?

What kind of delivery were you promised? i.e. Was there a few month lead time or did you pick one up from the forcourt?

if you are not satisfied with what HJ offer you... Then call BMW GB. Only if that fails should you involve the press..

Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I signed the new vehicle contract on the 24/12/04. The car was registered on the 30/12/04. The deal was struck so that the car should be registered before the end of the year. I arrange for insurance of the car to start on the 30/12/04. The documents were handed over to the dealership on the 5/1/05 as I was on holiday at the time and it was agreed by salesman that this was going to be okay otherwise I would cancel the contract. I was due to receive the car on the 11/1/05 but because of the bad weather this was not possible as the car was coming over from Northern Ireland on the ferry and all the ports were closed due to bad weather. I was given a courtesy car in the meantime. I finally took delivery of the car on the 25/1/05.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah but then you have no control. The dealer handles it to your satisfaction but you can't stop the press writing the story anyway and your relationship with your dealer is knackered..

Anyway back to the car.... Why the hell did it come over from ireland? They aren't made in ireland are they?

Fishy, very, very, very fishy...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.