Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says. For some reason half of the ring is gone on the second ring on the inside.
I have attached an image.
The red outline is where the light is missing.
The Right headlights is completely fine.
No idea what could have caused this.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good shout, they do have LEDs on both sides.
I was attempting to remove the bulb to have a look but I forgot how I did it and didn't want to snap it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You turn it about an 8th of a turn and you should feel it should come free.
Remember which way you turned it to free it, and the angle it came out. It makes it a lot easier to get the new one in.
Then replace it with a nice yellow halogen ;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Managed to remove it, it may be a faulty LED.
It's funny as this time last year I bought these bulbs when I got the car so they lasted a year.
It was recommended by someone on the forum and they were quite good when functional.
Where should I get OEM yellow ones from?
I do like the yellow look, however I'm not sure if it will suit the rest of the car as I'm trying to make it look a bit more modern. I may end up ordering more white ones anyway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just ignore me, I'm a halogen evangelist, you put what you like in.

The originals are 35w Halogen H8, Philips and Osram are the premium brands, I quite like the golden 2900k Mahruta in mine, but my car is black.

H8 is the fitment, LEDs tend to be H8/H11 because they fit in both. then you have the bus errors to worry about, somone else could probably point you at somthing LED that works for them without errors. Or HIDS-Direct seem respectable suppliers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to update on this matter ended up getting osram night breakers. H8.

I think id like more yellowness so may get Lux 2800k and return the osrams. They are great bulbs tho.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's actually so when you're driving at Le Mans everyone knows you are in a GT class car, or so I like to tell myself.
@bobwibbles let us know how those Lux turn out, I didn't know they did yellow, I was looking at their Gold ones, prety cool but like £250 is more than I can justify.
I have the 2900K Golden Yellow Mahruta's Halogen in mine at the moment. I've been thinking of trying the 2800k or 2300K Lunex Yellow Halogens.

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's actually so when you're driving at Le Mans everyone knows you are in a GT class car, or so I like to tell myself.
@bobwibbles let us know how those Lux turn out, I didn't know they did yellow, I was looking at their Gold ones, prety cool but like £250 is more than I can justify.
I have the 2900K Golden Yellow Mahruta's Halogen in mine at the moment. I've been thinking of trying the 2800k or 2300K Lunex Yellow Halogens.

View attachment 17510
Aha I see nicely distinguishable.
My apologies typo from myside I meant Lunex 2800k bought for £8 so not expecting alot (discounted from£15)
but they may do the job, I have seen the lux bulbs which seem to be the best but also way too expensive for me to justify.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can't go wrong for 8 quid (Where was that from?)
The Lunex Xenon's seem quite a popular bang for buck choice with people on Piston Heads, can't find much about the halogen, but hopfully thy will be good too.

Reactions: bobwibbles

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't go wrong for 8 quid (Where was that from?)
The Lunex Xenon's seem quite a popular bang for buck choice with people on Piston Heads, can't find much about the halogen, but hopfully thy will be good too.
Hi mate was from ebay, I had some voucher for some reason which took off 8 quid they are normally 15 on ebay anyway. Not sure if it was just me or for everyone.
They have arrived today will fit them later at night to see the difference, in the middle of studying for exams so maybe a day or two delay but will post a comparison between that and night breakers.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi mate was from ebay, I had some voucher for some reason which took off 8 quid they are normally 15 on ebay anyway. Not sure if it was just me or for everyone.
They have arrived today will fit them later at night to see the difference, in the middle of studying for exams so maybe a day or two delay but will post a comparison between that and night breakers.
(y)
good luck with the exams!

Reactions: M3AN and bobwibbles

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heres the results!

LHS OSRAM NightBreaker (cost me £28)
RHS Lunex 2800K (Cost me £8) (much deeper golder / orangey yellow)

OSRAM V Lunex

Few further pictures taken in front of a shop window so I could see how it looks from inside the car :D (was studying then got bored around 9pm and thought hey let me swap the bulbs and go for a little spin)

One thing I noticed is if you turn off your projectors (im assuming thats what they are) by flipping to 0 position the rings come out with much more brightness (however speedo is no longer lit in this mode)
Building Mode of transport Asphalt Atmospheric phenomenon Morning

Much more pronounced ring colouring with projectors off.
Vehicle Building Gas Event City

Hope that helps :D quite happy for the money spent. Very unique look compared to the White lights you see everywhere on the road.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow; That is looking pretty yellow compared to the Mahrutas. I'm very tempted to give them a go.

Reactions: bobwibbles

·
Registered
329 Posts
kelvin
Me too. I've seen a set of 2300k, but maybe that's too far?
Yes 2300K could be getting towards Amber. That said I dont think the Tungsten scale is the full story with these. I mean the Marutas and the Lunex are both 2800K but the Marutas are a golden yellow/white JDM style yellow lamp while the Lunex appear to be pretty close to French Selective yellow and wouldn't look out of place on track.
The Lunex look like they have a stronger yellow filter on the bulb.

Nice cheap things to mess on with though. If you bought a 250 quid Lux and didn't like it it would be a sickner.

Reactions: Nyxeris

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
^ Strongly agree, most of the eBay bulbs pull a number out of their bum, or more accurately someone else's bum when they steal the design/plans/listing pics as most seem to do!

Lux's amber bulbs are properly amber from what I've seen, assumedly because UDSM cars can have amber or white for DRLs. Hard to tell exact colouring from pics though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts