Baby BMW Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
2016 M240i
That is really bad for 25mph average.
As I said, I was late dropping my daughter off due to a wagon, so the first half of the journey was much quicker than the last half. :p

It was all town driving as well. Normally I get about 22-23mpg for that trip. But then I did a similar trip last night and got 29mpg. All depends how you drive. I have a heavy right foot and tend to drive hard a lot. 馃槀

Registered
I own a 2017 M240i. I am getting around 20mpg (sometimes even much less) when I'm doing town driving as well as some slightly faster roads. I am in no way "thrashing" it but I've seen other owners of F-series M240i's averaging 30mpg while still having spirited drives. When I am stuck in traffic or driving round towns slow I even make it a point to switch it to Eco Pro mode, but it doesn't seem to improve the MPG figures I'm getting. Any idea why this is happening or how I can fix it? Hope someone can help!

Thanks
Use 99ron petrol. Learn to let Eco mode do its coast thing when you arent in a rush/having fun. You can effectively gain significant mpg that way. I always flick to eco when cruising and when coming off motorways at end of commutes. Last night driving back from Glasgow city centre in the evening I got 33.8 mpg, avg speed 74mph, distance covered 25miles. At least 4mpg of that was taking it easy on the short section of A road.

Registered
Had my 240 nearly 6 years and a real mixture of driving conditions except the really cold icy days and long, short and medium milages and the dashboard reading is 31.5 mpg and I have never reset this value.

Registered
I'm pretty happy with my MPG. Can do 40+ on a longish run and coasting even more. The 2L Cupra i had for a few years was just as thirsty give or take. Town/slow driving is crap but so are other cars in comparison.

Registered
I own a 2017 M240i. I am getting around 20mpg (sometimes even much less) when I'm doing town driving as well as some slightly faster roads. I am in no way "thrashing" it but I've seen other owners of F-series M240i's averaging 30mpg while still having spirited drives. When I am stuck in traffic or driving round towns slow I even make it a point to switch it to Eco Pro mode, but it doesn't seem to improve the MPG figures I'm getting. Any idea why this is happening or how I can fix it? Hope someone can help!

Thanks
Try out Texaco 99 supreme. It has no Ethanol. Tesco 99 has now got 5% Ethanol FYI

Registered
2016 M240i
I'm pretty happy with my MPG. Can do 40+ on a longish run and coasting even more. The 2L Cupra i had for a few years was just as thirsty give or take. Town/slow driving is crap but so are other cars in comparison.
I had a 320bhp Focus ST from 08-10 and that thing was shocking. It averaged 18mpg, even on long runs and the absolute best I got was 30mpg on a 100 mile trip without using the turbo. 馃槀馃ぃ

Reactions: Nathan135i

Registered
The bottom line is you can鈥檛 expect an engine producing 340PS to run on fresh air. The amount of power and torque produced is inextricably linked to fuel consumption which in turn, is a direct correlate with how heavy you are with your right foot and of course, the type of driving - with town driving being the worst.
Tyre pressures for my 140 are over 32psi for sure - BMW specify a range, depending on speed and loading and the rear can be well over 40psi cold. I run 34/38 f/r - I can鈥檛 think the 240 would be greatly different and so perhaps check this out!!! Low tyre pressures will definitely affect fuel consumption adversely.
That said, I log all my refills on my 140 鈥渕anual鈥 and I鈥檝e averaged 36.6mpg over 20000 miles - see below.
Each point represents a full refill. The most I ever saw was 52mpg (no fill up) on a 200 mile trip which was mainly motorway and A roads. 55-60mph and I strongly suspect I had a tailwind because I鈥檝e never come close again!!!
Finally, I suspect tyre wear is another good correlate for fuel consumption. My OEM MPS tyres are wearing evenly and at the same rate front and back- all 4 have done 27K and I think are good for at least another 3-4000 miles.
I suspect if the OP drove my car on his typical routes, he would be getting 12-17mpg 馃槈
Slope Rectangle Plot Organism Line

Registered
2017 M240i Auto
I agree with OneTwenty and Padders comments here. I've owned my M240 for over 5 years since new and concur about the mpg figures they give for different driving. Most of my driving is urban so I don't see more than 26 to 27 on a tank of Shell V-Power (preferred fuel). On a long motorway run at up to 80mph I will see 40mpg so you do need to try a long run to see if you can achieve that, if you do then there's no problem, it's just your town driving journey. It's a 3 litre 340hp turbo charged engine so economy, except on a long run, is never going to be a strong point.

Registered
2017 M240i Auto
The bottom line is you can鈥檛 expect an engine producing 340PS to run on fresh air. The amount of power and torque produced is inextricably linked to fuel consumption which in turn, is a direct correlate with how heavy you are with your right foot and of course, the type of driving - with town driving being the worst.
Tyre pressures for my 140 are over 32psi for sure - BMW specify a range, depending on speed and loading and the rear can be well over 40psi cold. I run 34/38 f/r - I can鈥檛 think the 240 would be greatly different and so perhaps check this out!!! Low tyre pressures will definitely affect fuel consumption adversely.
That said, I log all my refills on my 140 鈥渕anual鈥 and I鈥檝e averaged 36.6mpg over 20000 miles - see below.
Each point represents a full refill. The most I ever saw was 52mpg (no fill up) on a 200 mile trip which was mainly motorway and A roads. 55-60mph and I strongly suspect I had a tailwind because I鈥檝e never come close again!!!
Finally, I suspect tyre wear is another good correlate for fuel consumption. My OEM MPS tyres are wearing evenly and at the same rate front and back- all 4 have done 27K and I think are good for at least another 3-4000 miles.
I suspect if the OP drove my car on his typical routes, he would be getting 12-17mpg 馃槈
View attachment 20950
Have to say @Javaman 34/38 for tyre pressures seems high, particularly the rear. With 38psi in the rears I'm surprised you get much traction when accelerating hard? I have PS4 tyres now and they break away at 32psi when accelerating hard at low speeds. I tried inflating them higher to get a more dynamic feel (PS4 not the most dynamic tyre but fantastic grip) but it just made the steering feel lighter and the rear traction issue worse?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts