Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: front tyres showing signs of wear on the outside . went to local tyre dealer to have tracking checked, with the car being 56 plate did not have now how, to do it told to take to bmw they want £350+vat. any ideas ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
That's probably about right for two new tyres and tracking...

see what somewhere like kwik fit will charge. Probably be a fair bit cheaper

·
Registered
8 Posts
A tad expensive.
A few months ago I suffered a puncture in my nearside front. It was caused by a screw. Drove okay but needed attention.
Phoned around to be told that these tyres (Conti runflats) cannot be repaired. Some outlets said that the tyre would have to be ordered. Eventually I found a small independent garage about 10miles away that had some in stock.
Went there immediately. They looked at my front tyres and suggested that my tracking was out as both tyres were wearing unevenly. They also suggested that maybe I should replace both tyres and have the tracking done. They quoted me £99 for each tyre, fitting, valves and balancing and a further £22 for tracking, making a total of £220 inc. vat. I thought this was a good deal having been quoted £115 for each tyre from other outlets that didn't have stock.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i think he means the tracking is £350 not the tyres and tracking!!, its KDS rip off by the sounds....

My mate had his 3 series KDS aligned for about £200 at knights, but it seems the charges we are being quoted vary

·
Registered
604 Posts
Local Tyre Dealers including some Kwik Fits can probably do the tracking for you if they are equipped with the Hunter wheel alignment machine. Costs around £50-£70

·
Registered
105 Posts
On the latest BMW's with run flats the front geometry is set up to lean on the outer edges its not your tracking unless it's more on one side than the other. It is, I'm told, to do with the steering set up.

You could stop this by adding a little bit more of positive camber (pull the top of the wheels into the body) on the front wheels to take the weight off the outer edges but this will make the steering firmer and maybe tramline on the road a little bit more but it depends what you like. I will be having a bit more camber added when I change my tyres next time so I'll post on here what I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.