Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago had a drivetrain warning. The car was booked to go to dealers in for the EGR cooler. I checked on ista before it went into the dealers and the error code said. Converter lockup clutch stuck in open position.

Dealer said the transmission needs replacing. Cars got 33k miles on it, it's a 2014 model. BMW UK said they will offer 80 percent goodwill on parts only. The 6 hours of labour I will have to pay for. Anyone else had this issue ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A few days ago had a drivetrain warning. The car was booked to go to dealers in for the EGR cooler. I checked on ista before it went into the dealers and the error code said. Converter lockup clutch stuck in open position.

Dealer said the transmission needs replacing. Cars got 33k miles on it, it's a 2014 model. BMW UK said they will offer 80 percent goodwill on parts only. The 6 hours of labour I will have to pay for. Anyone else had this issue ?
Hey,

Did you ever get this solved? Have the exact same issue and response from BMW today. No offer to help with the cost of parts though. It’s a 2 Series F45 though.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
The car is a 2014 218d Active Tourer. Pretty sure it’s a torque converter. Only done 60k with a full BMW service history. Can’t believe it needs anew gearbox.

The exact code is:
420201: Converter lock-up clutch: Hangs in the open position

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi did you manage to resolve this issue, I’m currently getting the same issues 2015 2 series gran tourer, same torque converter code, being told need a new transmission car only has 32500 miles I can’t really believe that’s right. Thanks in advance if you’re able to offer any help/advise

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interestingly, I also have this error message appearing on my 2015 Gran Tourer, with only 55K miles on the clock. With the same diagnostic, saying it will need new transmission.
Car is driving fine, the message pops up about once a week - with no impact on driving performance. So I am wondering if something else is going on.

Found this thread where some people indicate it might be the EGR that's about to fail Drivetrain/limit issue

As it happens, I just got a letter from BMW about a Safety recall regarding software linked to EGR. So will see what happens after they do what's required for the recall

1 - 9 of 9 Posts