Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 BMW 2 Series 225xe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My F45 225Xe is only a 'Sport' model and does not have the M Sport steering wheel. The main reason this is annoying to me, is that my car does not have cruise control (which I really want) - only the limiter control, which frankly screams at me "look what you coulda had"!

Anyway, I read that swapping out the wheel for an M Sport version (plus re-coding) is one way to retro-fit cruise. Although, not a cheap way as the used M Sport wheels I've seen go for about £600 on eBay, and that's without getting someone to fit it and code it.

Has anyone achieved a cruise retro-fit in another way?

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
590 Posts
Indeed, I did cruise control on a F45 220d a while back. Very straightforward. One option is to get cruise buttons for your existing wheel - this would be cheaper than going the nice-but-expensive m sport route.
Can you confirm which wheel you currently have? Picture if possible.

·
Registered
2016 BMW 2 Series 225xe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks @BFleming. Here's the pic of my existing wheel.

BTW - I was told by some eBay seller (who was flogging a full wheel) that I can't just change the buttons. I was sceptical of that answer but I don't have a better answer at the moment.
While I would like to upgrade to an M Sport steering wheel one day, am I right in thinking that buying these panels would require only the removal of the existing panels and replacement with these units: ORIGINAL BMW X1 F48 2 F45 Active Tourer F46 Gran Tourer Switch Steering Wheel 5056162821125 | eBay (plus the re-coding)?

Wheel Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2016 BMW 2 Series 225xe
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This might be of relevance along with @BFleming being very knowledgeable in this area
Thanks icelink. I tried to find the cruise buttons in that BMW parts catalog site but failed.

I have found this on eBay though: ORIGINAL BMW X1 F48 2 F45 Active Tourer F46 Gran Tourer Switch Steering Wheel 5056162821125 | eBay

The question is how easy is it to fit?

I also found several compatible M Sport steering wheels at reasonable prices, but it then occurred to me that a change of steering wheel could easily be construed as a modification to the vehicle and would have to be declared to the insurance company (probably not desirable). However, maybe just the change in buttons would also incur that requirement?

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Thanks icelink. I tried to find the cruise buttons in that BMW parts catalog site but failed.

I have found this on eBay though: ORIGINAL BMW X1 F48 2 F45 Active Tourer F46 Gran Tourer Switch Steering Wheel 5056162821125 | eBay

The question is how easy is it to fit?

I also found several compatible M Sport steering wheels at reasonable prices, but it then occurred to me that a change of steering wheel could easily be construed as a modification to the vehicle and would have to be declared to the insurance company (probably not desirable). However, maybe just the change in buttons would also incur that requirement?

Cheers!

TJ
Any changes to the car and you need to inform your insurer. I have various bits and pieces with a 10% supplement on my premium meaning I can add other bits too, providing I inform them which bits.

• Wow
Reactions: Tech-Jock

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
wrong topic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts