Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New here, I've had my 118i M-Sport Automatic from new since January.
I have done 8000 miles in it, 90% of it Motorways going normal speed at 60/70 in Eco Friendly.

For the first 4 months my MPGs were at 29/30 they have now somehow managed to creep up to 41.5 MPG.
My biggest problem is this, I see myself put a full tank in every 3/4 days. Now, reading BMW website the fuel tank capacity should be 42 L. I have never been able to put in more than 34. 35 at a push, you know when the handle clicks and you go a little more.
This gives me a range of 300 miles where I've seen online show 450+...

Is this normal, should I really expect my fuel tank capacity to be 35 L and my Maximum Range 300 miles?
I understand if I am completely in the wrong and just haven't been educated on this and I will appreciate any answer I can get but if however, fellow 118i owners can in fact put more than 35L of petrol in theirs, and after every full tank they get more than 300 miles to show at start of their journey (i know this is average but on average i would say i squeeze about 350 miles in TOTAL before refuelling) then I will either have to book in for some tests at BMW or consider changing the car entirely as it's annoying having 2/3 trips of total of 300 motorway miles and going straight into the petrol station.

In comparison, before this I owned a 116d Sport Diesel and that allowed me to put about 50/52 L Diesel in and even though the Range started at 500 I'd get about 700 motorway miles from it (I know it's diesel but still, If not the range, then the fuel capacity issue rises)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
565 Posts
A larger 50l tank is an option on the F40 1 (though is standard fit in the M135i), so potentially those cars showing 450mile range online have the larger tank?

I filled up my larger tank this morning and only got 42l despite the fuel gauge reading that it was almost empty. Seems quite a large safety buffer is built in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A larger 50l tank is an option on the F40 1 (though is standard fit in the M135i), so potentially those cars showing 450mile range online have the larger tank?

I filled up my larger tank this morning and only got 42l despite the fuel gauge reading that it was almost empty. Seems quite a large safety buffer is built in.
Thing is though, what is that safety buffer, how far can I go at 0 range😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Either way. I've not come across anyone yet online who can't put in more than 35 L of fuel in, so would be interesting to see if I in fact have bad some extra bricks chucked into my tank or if maybe my buffer is 7 L to take it to the 42 L capacity as stated online.

i know someone mentioned M135s having 50L tanks, however when ordering my car I've not once even been asked or told about this when doing the order. I just stupidly assumed i'd get a largish tank like I had in my 116d which was about 50 L...

thanks for responses so far though chaps

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've ran low before and was some way from petrol station, made it and ended up putting 49.6l in my M135i 50l tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts