Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this topic has been done to death in "general" terms - but i'm looking for a specific use case.

I have a 14 plate 120d M Sport with the M Sport suspension.
Running on stock 225/35/18 / 255/30/18 with Bridgestone S001 RFTs.

I'm finding the ride a bit too firm for the pothole'd roads around me.
I've already buldged out on tyre and buckled an alloy which luckily i had straightened.

I've read a lot around replacing RFT tyres, and i'm told the 3rd gen ones are almost comparable to a standard tyre (I understand the S001 is the new gen).
I'm looking for anyone who has had this combination of M Sport and S001 RFTs and who has replaced them with standard tyres.
What has your experience been? Significant difference in comfort levels? Or is it mostly the suspension that is causing the harsh ride?

I'm specifically looking here for the comfort - I know all about the grip / issues with replacement tyres etc etc.
Frankly, on UK roads I can drive my other halfs 1.0T Ford Fiesta faster than my car because my crashes around far too much to drive at any sort of speed.

· Registered
1,256 Posts
Mmmm.

I don't think that size tyre is stock.

Should be something like 225/40/18 & 245/35/18.

Maybe that's why it feels a bit firm

· Registered
452 Posts
This tyre thing is confusing.

My last F20 120d Sport had 17" RFT S001s n it, and they felt pretty bad compared to the MPSS and 18" MLites I fitted afterwards.

I was quite depressed at the prospect of the 4 brand new RFT S001s on my new F20 120d MSport, but I have been very impressed by this set. Maybe it's true that the latest versions are much better?

I find the ride on mine to be great, I do have adaptive dampers though, but it feels pretty good even in the stiffest mode. Although mine is an XDrive which usually means they have SE suspension fitted, with adaptive dampers BMW fit standard MSport springs and so the ride height is the same.

What pressures are you running?

· Registered
1,772 Posts
Well I can't answer your specific question but I have in a sense gone the other way. My summer tyres are S001 RFTs in the same sizes you list. I recently swapped them out for my winter set of 225/40 R18s Pirelli Sottozero II. The ride on the winters is noticeably harsher and more crashy which suggests to me that the S001s are indeed a step forward. Note that I too have adaptive dampers but the ride on my S001s really is very good. Certainly much better than the 17" RE050A on my E90 which were useless.

I think if can't get on with the S001s then non RFTs are indeed your only hope. Either that or using 17" rims instead.

· Registered
407 Posts
I very much agree with padder's post.

I find the S001 on 18" with msport setup to be very tolerable even on rough road services.
That is on an F22 with no adaptive.

But then that was coming from an E82 with Goodyear NCT5 RFT on msport and that was harsh!

However the road surfaces, although rough in some areas I travel, are not gonna buckle an alloy
as in your case so I guess you got some real bad potholes. In which case any RFT on msport (even
the latest gen) might well be too severe.

· Registered
135 Posts
I have good year eagle F1 run flats on mine and they feel the same as a normal non run flat. I have had the bridge stones on a 320d tourer and a 118d and they are an awful tyre with a very harsh ride and they tramline badly! However, the ones I have now are spot on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.