Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got a new turbo and some other coolant pipework out of the BMW extended warranty due to various coolant leaks which totalled many thousands. Just be cautious about any modifications because they dont even allow security modifications. I've got a third party warranty of similar coverage now which was more expensive and thankfully I've not had to use it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, I've had my M140i since new (2017) and have taken out the extended warranty each year since.

Towards the end of last year, BMW replaced the engine with a brand new one. My car had done 27k miles at the time! :eek:

Needless to say, that was the best £403 I've ever spent! (I went for the fully comp policy with breakdown cover & £250 excess).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I got a new turbo and some other coolant pipework out of the BMW extended warranty due to various coolant leaks which totalled many thousands. Just be cautious about any modifications because they dont even allow security modifications. I've got a third party warranty of similar coverage now which was more expensive and thankfully I've not had to use it.
Just out of curiosity who are you with? I've modded mine, but still a little on tender hooks regarding the gearbox and engine eventually going pop. Both are standard but the rest of the car isnt!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mines a tool for mostly business mileage so I keep it completely stock, so no issue with the extended warranty being null and void due to mods.
If it broke I need it back on the road ASAP with little expense, so the warranty is a must have.
If mine was low mileage for mostly social usage I don't think I would bother with the extra expense of the warranty.
But, it's all a gamble isn't it!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Just paid for my comp. extended, £403. Had an adaptive sus strut go last year £750, had to pay the £250 excess. Have used the recovery (incl. in the £403) a couple of times now

Well worth the money and peace of mind.

I have extra security OBD Protector, BMW haven't seemed bothered about it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The breakdown recovery, at least in London, does an amazing job. The guys are actually BMW people who know the cars. They sometimes have the parts that need replacing in their vehicle, and the labour is included in the recovery. So they'll charge the part, not the first hour of labour. Saved my holiday once.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,552 Posts
I still get it every year for £320. Car has an intake, but that's it and I can put it back to stock in 20 minutes if needs be should anything happen.

The way I see it, the insurance isn't much for me (£270 or something), so annually for both insurance and extended warranty it's less than £600 per year which is what I used to pay per year for insurance when I was younger. :p

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
For a car that does 0-62 in 4.6sec, the extended warranty is cheap at £403 including breakdown cover.

If your car has an odd issue, some garages can charge you £500-2,000 just to find and diagnose the problem.

Reactions: OneTwenty

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,552 Posts
How are you guys getting the extended warranty so cheap??
Mine was £675 with £100 excess fully comp inc. roadside assistance
Mine‘s always been £320 - comprehensive, no breakdown and £250 excess, 33k miles. They may have put prices up though, I’ll find out in October.

Have you always taken the warranty since it was offered? I believe it’s cheaper if you do that and keep renewing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts