Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy. BMW 1 series 114i 62 plate for my first car. It seems to be good, passed HPI check has recently got a new timing chain as it’s got 96k on the clock. It failed it’s MOT with a (Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits) but then got a passed the same day. Should I trust that this is fixed? and would the problem occur again? If so how much would this cost to repair.
Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
Hard pass for me, at least without solid evidence of what was done to fix it. Emissions pass can easily be faked by plugging the probe into another car.

High CO usually means the car is running rich, so it could be anything from an O2 sensor on the cheaper end, to a stretched timing chain causing valve blow-by or a simple case of the catalytic converter on its way out, both of which are approaching 3 figures to sort.

·
Super Moderator
369 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Nyxeris is right - these sorts of problems are not only tricky to get to the bottom of but they are expensive to fix purely because there's often a lot of trial and error since the same error code can be caused by many different parts, all of which must be replaced one-by-one until you get a resolution.

Being a 114i, it will have the N13 (i.e., the BMW version of the) Peugeot 'Prince' engine. If you type 'N13 engine' into Google you'll see a host of reasons as to why this engine is to be avoided - especially with 100K miles. I'd run a mile if I'm honest.

Best of luck with your search!

Reactions: cbr600ant
1 - 3 of 3 Posts