Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sales department at Elms are very good - helpful and friendly.

Do not, however, under *any* circumstances, take your car to their service department. They are, without a doubt, the most incompetent garage I have used in 20 years of driving.

It took them a week to fit an iPod integration kit to my car. This is quoted by BMW as taking 1 hour. They couldn't manage to recode a brand-new car which had been coded by the factory two weeks earlier, and spent a week pulling the car to bits and trying repeatedly, until it dawned on them that the problem might not be with the car. Sure enough, their programming computer was at fault - when they tried a different computer, the car recoded first time. All through the week for which they had my car, getting to speak to someone by phone about the progress they were making was largely impossible - no-one was ever available when you rang, and calls took hours to be returned.

That isn't the worst bit, though. Their "technicians" (and I use the word extremely loosely) clearly do not give a damn about the quality of their work, or that they are handling other people's very expensive cars. While fitting the iPod kit, they refitted the glovebox incorrectly, used the wrong fasteners and broke several pieces of trim through sheer brute force and ignorance. When I objected to this, the front-of-house staff were very apologetic and agreed to rectify all the problems. After their second attempt, another piece of trim was refitted using more brute force, causing its retaining clips to crack and the trim not to fit correctly. There are also more screws missing from other bits of trim, leaving them loose, and yet more use of incorrect fasteners. I am currently waiting for replacement trim to be sent from Germany, and I dread to think what else is lurking under the trim where I can't see it.

And they charge £100 an hour for labour. This dealership's service department are an absolute disgrace - avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have to agree that the sales staff at Elms BMW are excellent.

However, my recently aquired 130 has some creaks, some wind noise and a chip in the windscreen (from before i picked it up) - it took 2 weeks to just get it booked in due to nobody calling back, and now i am concerned that my car will not be treated well.

hmmmmmm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Guys!

My dad used Elms (Bedford, which is slightly better than Cambridge) and lets put it this way. we never use them again.

Before i moved to Oxfordshire, I used Murketts BMW in Huntingdon. Service is excellent and cannot fault them.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously, don't take it there. They *will* break bits, and they won't care. When I spoke to the general manager this morning to complain, he informed me that it was not acceptable for me to remove trim from my own car (even when they had fitted it incorrectly) and that doing so would invalidate my warranty - he basically suggested that the damage to my car was caused by me (which I am damn sure it wasn't). He wanted me to "understand" that in future, I should not be removing trim to see if the work underneath it had been completed properly. My response was that if everything looked ok on the surface, or was rectified properly when I complained, I would not have had to take matters into my own hands in the first place!

I cannot warn you off strongly enough about this place - your car will not be treated well, and they won't care afterwards.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rumple said:
Before i moved to Oxfordshire, I used Murketts BMW in Huntingdon. Service is excellent and cannot fault them.
Many thanks for that - I noticed that they were the next closest dealer to me, so they will be working on my car from now on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have no choice seeing as the windscreen will be being changed - but at least that is being done by the prep center and not servicing.

yikes, i hope that its going to be ok :? - I will report back once my car is ummm hopefully not broken.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, I went down elms cambridge today to pick up some parts (a luggage net for the boot, chip pen) and to talk about my oil and have to say that it was a really rather positive experience.

The engineer seemed switched on and my car was looked at and returned to me in one piece. I will give fuller feedback once they fix the creaking / change the windscreen.

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.