Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
120D coupe - 2010
Drove vehicle today no problem. It sat in direct sun for few hours which I doubt has relevance as it's in UK and mid 20's. Returned to car this afternoon. On pressing fob. Windows were consistently opening and closing, interior light came on flickering, headlights slightly flickering. Windows would only stop moving if I set to open. However, once I pulled away would settle and I was able to close. Got occasional warning light doors were open. If I switched lights off, they would turn back on for a few seconds then off and repeat this randomly. When parked the stop/start button stays illuminated, and flashing red light for armed alarm does not flash. Parked for a few hours to go about my business. And tonight still the same issue.
I did find a similar old post. But the OP never came back with a conclusion.
Was hoping somebody may have had experience in this odd occurrence.

Cheers. Lee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get it done today hopefully. I'm not overly sure how to do it myself. I've got a fluke multi meter. Never tested a car battery before.
One thing I will say. It's gone pretty f'd up instantly. There's been no odd little quirks with electrics before hand.
What ridiculous occurrences for a failing battery if that's the case 🙄

Thanks for reply

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a nightmare this morning. Managed to get the drivers lock stuck on with door open. Tried everything to release. So I called break down out to let them deal with it. Whilst waiting their arrival I managed to free it.
When breakdown arrived I got him to look at battery. He said he couldn't fully test battery as didn't have appropriate meters. But, when cranking over, it was pulling down to 4v and fluctuated a bit. So in his opinion the battery is pretty shot?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Had a nightmare this morning. Managed to get the drivers lock stuck on with door open. Tried everything to release. So I called break down out to let them deal with it. Whilst waiting their arrival I managed to free it.
When breakdown arrived I got him to look at battery. He said he couldn't fully test battery as didn't have appropriate meters. But, when cranking over, it was pulling down to 4v and fluctuated a bit. So in his opinion the battery is pretty shot?
New battery then Lee, hopefully will sort your issues relatively painlessly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The price of battery is spiteful fitted. Gone are the days of £50 and drop it in yourself what with the re program. Quotes of £360 fitted.
Not a bosh nor budget middle of road battery

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The price of battery is spiteful fitted. Gone are the days of £50 and drop it in yourself what with the re program. Quotes of £360 fitted.
Not a bosh nor budget middle of road battery
Ouch, is it an AGM? Have you got Bimmercode? I believe you can code it yourself. £130 for battery no?

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts
Is the fitted battery reasonable enough? You can get away without coding if the replacement is identical to your current one (in spec, brand, etc.).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My battery is original BMW. Or at least the previous owner replaced with one.
I've since had a call back from another garage £200 for middle of road 3 year warranty. Or Bosch at £245 both fitted. I know they range between £120-180.
I sadly do not have bimmercode. Never knew about it. Though I assumed I might be able to buy Bluetooth/lead plugin and download some software.
Can you post me a link to any info. Definitely getting sorted for future.
Sods law, I need to drive up north tomorrow, so I've been caught with my pants down. Have to suffer the 200 notes.
Just hope the battery stops my motor acting like that late 70's B Movie Christine. Scared my girlfriend last night lol

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

You need to put on your phone/tablet Lee

I bought this one, it works well.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Is the fitted battery reasonable enough? You can get away without coding if the replacement is identical to your current one (in spec, brand, etc.).

A new battery needs coding, the car will presume it is the old battery.

Reactions: nazali

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Without telling (coding) the car it has a new battery fitted, it will (charging system) continue to charge the battery as an old battery. You'll be then shelling out for another battery very quickly.

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts
Without telling (coding) the car it has a new battery fitted, it will (charging system) continue to charge the battery as an old battery. You'll be then shelling out for another battery very quickly.
Interestingly that didn't happen at all - although it is what I believed at the time. It was about 4/5 years ago I had a battery replacement from my local Sytner, who said I'd be okay without coding it as long as they were like-for-like.

I kept the car for quite a long time afterwards, never had a problem with the battery or any electrics - despite regularly leaving the car standing for long periods of time. Not best practice to chance it without registering the new battery but it can be done - unless I just got lucky? Although can't see why the stealer wouldn't have wanted to charge me for the coding, seems a bit out of character for them!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I think a lot of confusion arises over terminology. I think BMW refer to 'registering' a new battery if its like-for-like and 'coding' if theres a change in battery type/capacity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update-
New battery fitted and programmed.

There was a huge amount of low voltage errors.

All solved. However was doing 70 on motorway about 20 miles after battery fitted and got brief loss of power. Circular arrow around A. Red and flashing. Traction control. Never ever had this issue before. Turned DTC off for time being. I'm told by garage it's a common fault. Odd it only happens after new battery fitted.

But anyway. The main issues are resolved. Thanks all. Hope this helps others in future!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Update-
New battery fitted and programmed.

There was a huge amount of low voltage errors.

All solved. However was doing 70 on motorway about 20 miles after battery fitted and got brief loss of power. Circular arrow around A. Red and flashing. Traction control. Never ever had this issue before. Turned DTC off for time being. I'm told by garage it's a common fault. Odd it only happens after new battery fitted.

But anyway. The main issues are resolved. Thanks all. Hope this helps others in future!
Good result Ming, apart from the glitch. What battery did you get, how much and fitting/coding?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts