Baby BMW Forum banner

E87 Jacking point underneath engine- where is it?

Tags
e87
2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  bearded_ed 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I want to jack my car up but I've noticed that there is one under the engine -central jacking point
Is it on the undertray on it? or is it near/on the engine
Can anyone locate it for me its an SE E87 pre lci
Does anyone have a good photo of it (jacking point)

I don't want to lift the car on its sump and break something so i thought I'd ask here before attempting

Sorry if its a newbie question

Thanks

#2 ·
I think you are looking for the one in this picture, number 5. If you look from the front of the car, it's a good arm's length in, a square pad can be seen provided it has not been caught and knocked off. It sits in a recess of the tray so you can't really miss it.

White Font Automotive design Automotive exterior Machine

#4 ·
I think you are looking for the one in this picture, number 5. If you look from the front of the car, it's a good arm's length in, a square pad can be seen provided it has not been caught and knocked off. It sits in a recess of the tray so you can't really miss it.

View attachment 17638
its not on the undertray right? and it sits near the gearbox or under it right? I think mine still has it

#5 ·
Unlikely you will get to it without ramps or a long reach jack
I have to put mine on slim ramps then use a low level jack
Oh no. I havent got either. Any other suggestions?

I've heard of jacking one side up,placing cinder blocks under wheel,lowering and repeating on the other side and then placing a jack stand on jacking point when supported by cinder block for a small period of time. Car will sit on jack stands.

Does it seem okay?

#6 ·
Is there anywhere else that is suitable to place a jack stand to support the car except at the jacking points and the centre rubber?

Sorry for late reply my notfications don't work for this even with email push notifications on :/

#10 ·
The only officially safe places are the 4 side points, the front subframe point, and the rear diff casing.

I wouldn’t use cinder blocks, ever. They aren’t designed to take weight in that way, and they don’t fail slowly - they shatter and the car falls without warning.

I built a set of cribs to hold my car about 2’ off the ground so I could drop the gearbox, timber has gone up quite a bit since then though :( What’s the going rate for a set of ramps from Halfords?

#14 ·
Noted! Ramps go for about 35-50£ for a pair i assume. Last year I checked for the orange ones and they were around 28£ on sale, now they start at 40 or so quid in store and the lowest I saw them so far this year was 35.

#11 ·
I've got two pairs of ramps and a pair of axle stands and a 2T jack and that pretty much does everything.

#20 ·
Whilst the chassis is stiff I find side jacking, just to reach the centre jacking point, inefficient and a bit of a faff.

Drive the car on to blocks, slide the jack under the front central point, jack up and place your stands under the side points, remove front jack (for access).

#21 ·
Whatever you do, keep in mind that the car can move a little as the jack raises so be sure you account for that. You don't want the situation where raising the jack drags the car off other raised areas such as small blocks or ramps with no scope for travel. Look at it all before going under, does it look right or an accident waiting to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.