Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an MY06 130i Sport which seems to have the Base spec audio system consisting of tweeter covers with no tweeters, Professional headunit, speakers in the doors and underseat subwoofers.

The headunit is being replaced with a modern screen for Apple CarPlay and reverse camera functions.
I'd also like to upgrade the audio with a direct fit (no hassles and unnecessary stuffing around) speaker upgrade. So far I've found:

Bavsound < Build Your Kit OnePage > which only consists of:
Stage One speakers (no tweeters) and Ghost Underseat Subwoofers V2, 4 Ohm

Bimmer-Tech Alpha One < BMW Sound System Upgrade: Speakers & Amplifier | Alpha One > which based on my VIN includes:
Complete set of speakers (including tweeters and subwoofers) and Amplifier upgrade (interesting as there is no factory amplifier installed).

Focal Inside < BMW 1 Series | 5 doors (2004-2011) | E87 | Focal Inside >, particularly the Inside Powered 6.2 Impulse consisting of:
Front speakers with tweeters
Rear coaxial speakers
Underseat subwoofers
Amplifier

Are there any other worthy options to be considering?

· Registered
2012 F20 125d
32 Posts
I put set of Gladens in my old E87. Fantastic speakers , custom fit in the doors & under seats.
They are not cheap, but worth it…
Sound deadening around your new speakers will make a noticeable difference too! 👍

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put set of Gladens in my old E87. Fantastic speakers , custom fit in the doors & under seats.
According to https://www.gladen.com/images/gladen-mosconi/downloads/Kompatibilitatsliste-BMW-2020-12.pdf , Gladen offers:
One 201 BMW Alpha front speakers - splits with tweeters, midrange and woofer Gladen One 201 Alpha
or One 202 BMW front speakers - splits with tweeters, midrange and woofer Gladen One 202 BMW
or One 100 BMW coaxial Gladen One 100 BMW
One 100 BMW-S rear speaker Gladen One 100 BMW-S

· Super Moderator
64,589 Posts
Back in the day, I had a play with the speakers in my E87. Easily the biggest step-change was adding a pair of Harmon Kardon Logic 7 tweeters, which are plug and play (they literally plug into the door mids). Fit, readjust all your Treble and Bass settings, and marvel at your new soundstage.

Part number 65136964013 x two.

After that I messed about a lot and spent lots of money, but the gains were comparatively minimal.

Possibly not what you want to read if you’ve set your heart on aftermarket kit, but might be a useful tidbit for someone out there on the forum.

· Administrator
4,358 Posts
If you're looking at aftermarket screens, bear in mind the models that sit on top of the dashboard get sound to the car by plugging in to your existing AUX, so their output relies on the factory head unit. Base audio cars have a gimped EQ with massive gain to make the naff speakers less obvious, so if you choose a dash-top screen you'll also need to code your car to HiFi to get a flat, balanced output. That in turn means you'll want an amp capable of driving all the speakers, not one of the cheaper ones which only drives the fronts. If you code the car to HiFi, any channels you don't amp will get drowned out.

I know you specifically mentioned replacing the head unit, which would make this irrelevant – just thought it was worth adding in case those bling-bling dash-top screens catch your fancy :)

· Registered
678 Posts
They are not cheap, but worth it…
Sound deadening around your new speakers will make a noticeable difference too! 👍
Gladens are really good, put an amp in and it really comes alive!
All mentioned brands are a good upgrade, also mbquart, eton, audison.
Fully agree with Nyxeris, the base radio and speakers are adjusted to each other by means of a dsp to get acceptable quality from very cheap components.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easily the biggest step-change was adding a pair of Harmon Kardon Logic 7 tweeters, Possibly not what you want to read if you’ve set your heart on aftermarket kit
I’m certainly not set on a need to instal and aftermarket kit, and hearing this is good. My thought with most of the setups outlined above is that they are only speaker upgrades - what’s going into the speakers, the source, is still exactly the same. From my prior experience, unless there’s something wrong with the old speakers, a speaker upgrade usually doesn’t achieve too much when still driven off the headunits internal amplifier. Comparatively low quality speakers can sound better when the source is upgraded. To this end I am currently favouring the option of installing the HK Logic 7 tweeters per your recommendation and leaving the rest as is. Or going the full Focal kit as it actually includes an external amplifier as part of it which would likely make the biggest difference to the setup.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're looking at aftermarket screens, bear in mind the models that sit on top of the dashboard get sound to the car by plugging in to your existing AUX, so their output relies on the factory head unit.
Thanks, but planning a full headunit replacement to an Alpine iLX-507A or Kenwood DDX9020DABS, or the like, double DIN unit in the dash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts