1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 116I 2006 ~210000 kms

First and foremost Hello everyone!
Im having a problem with my e87.

it started during vacation driving about 30h in a 5 day span and the car started to become bullheaded. Random missfires sometimes extremely rough idling and even stalling after slowing down from higher speeds. Really bad under 2,5k rpm with jerky movements Only to be super smooth 2,5k rpm+.

so I changed all sparkplugs and they were really bad, o-rings almost gone.

later I read about the solenoids so I decided to have a look. One was leaking oil and the other actually had a 2mark gash in it. Almost like it had been hit by the timingchain. When I put the latter back in and started the car I got this really loud chainsaw sound(Only way I can describe it) i poked the timingchain a bit and it doesnt seem to be loose. I’ve since another pair of solenoids in but problem still existoud loud chainsaw sound and vanishes if I go above 3k rpm. Worth mentioning and the point of my very confused mind is if disconnect the solenoid sensors the noise is gone. And after revving up to about to 4K rpm the chainsaw sound of doom returns and stays on until car is turned off. (Gone again when i start the car back on.

anyone got any Ideas where to begin and search for answears? Im sorry if the post is messy but its my first one ever. Ill upload a video of it tomorrow. Cheers☺

Hand Automotive tire Glove Gas Tints and shades

Handwriting Azure Rectangle Font Electric blue

Rectangle Font Display device Electric blue Magenta

Rectangle Handwriting Font Display device Electric blue

Rectangle Font Display device Electronic device Electric blue

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
As it’s relatively inexpensive, and known to cause problems, I would swap out the timing chain tensioner.

It looks like a big bolt in the side of your engine, a simple screw out - screw in job, nothing needs resetting.

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
That first pic looks like the chain has jumped its guides or something and is literally sawing through the tensioner/solenoid to me?

The codes you’ve posted suggest it’s already skipped time too, so I’d get the car recovered to a mechanic ASAP, don’t start it under any circumstances, and cross your fingers there’s been no piston/valve contact!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That first pic looks like the chain has jumped its guides or something and is literally sawing through the tensioner/solenoid to me?

The codes you’ve posted suggest it’s already skipped time too, so I’d get the car recovered to a mechanic ASAP, don’t start it under any circumstances, and cross your fingers there’s been no piston/valve contact!
Im just curious about how I can making it running completly smooth by disconnecting the solenoids. If it were timingchain surely the issue would be present even without Vanos?

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
The VANOS units are driven by the timing chain, could be that the default adjustment state with the solenoids disconnected is putting enough tension back on the chain to mask the issues?

Either way, just based on those photos, I wouldn't be starting the car again as that's usually when the chains decide to snap and turn a big bill into a massive one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your concern, ill open up the head tomorrow and have a proper look at sprockets and chain and see what I can make of it. Luckily I work at a scrapyard and have a exact copy of this engine sitting here for very cheap. Regardless Im hoping to find the fix. Ill update you with my findings tomorrow night

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so, it seems I have a stretched Timing chain and at certain rpms chain is hitting the glider. tried a new tensioner but it did very little. Will get the Timing chain replaced

1 - 8 of 8 Posts