Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

help/advice please.....

yesterday morning when I got into the car I had a warning light on upon starting up.....yellow light, exclamation mark inside triangle with arrow going all the way round it....I also get this in the display where the handbrake light etc comes on except it has a large ! next to it. I've did a few searches on here for this and there seems to be some feeling this has to do with the ABS Module or steering or brakes....the light has been on now for over a day and my worry from reading on here is this could potentially cost me a fortune (think someone quoted £1200!!!)

can anyone give me a firm diagnosis for this or give me any advice on how I can get round it, my car is a 54 plate, and I had a short 3 month AA warranty when I bought from the dealer but that has since ran out.......should I take it my Glasgow BM dealer tomorrow to check over and risk paying a lot of money and is there anything to stop me taking out some sort of warranty that will cover this if it is a worst case scenerio.....??

edited to add: mauaul says "suspension control system failed" does not sound good.........

any help appreciated.

cheers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Have you tried to re-initialise the run flat tyre system on OBC? If you have and it did not fix it I would try disconnecting the negative pole of the cars battery in the boot. Leave it disconnected for a long period (an hour or two) and this should reset the electronics. If the light comes back up it is more than likely that there is some wrong as it triggered the warning light again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that was the first thing I tried mate but no luck......are there any other implications from disconnecting the battery though? don't want to cause more problems.....

does anyone know what is affected by the suspension control system?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is a failure of the DSC ECU. I have been there, got the T shirt etc. :)

I just had it fixed on Friday along with a hole in the fuel tank breather pipe. The first things to go wrong in three and a half years, but wrong in a big way!!

The car is perfectly ok to drive with a busted DSC ECU, I couldn't find any difference in the handling during the week I drove it for. I does cost a lot, the cost of the repairs for the ECU and breather pipe including labour would have come to over £2000 but BMW goodwill reduced it to under £200. :)

I was told that it is a modified ECU that has been fitted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that does not sound good for me then, not really the news I've been hoping for, I take it you were just out of warranty for them to do that?

see I thought the handling felt a bit dodgy, am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, typically the warranty ended in Dec 07. :roll:

I didn't hold back on testing the difference in handling and couldn't feel anything, too much grip. Perhaps on snow it would be noticeable. As I said to the garage when they warned about it's lack of operation, that I managed the previous 25 years of driving without any form of stability control other than myself. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah take your point mate, so you pretty sure it can't affect anything else?

So back to my question way up the top, is there anything stopping me taking out a warranty which will cover this then getting it fixed at a later date?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there Ikki, long time no see mate.

I also posted up a thread with the same problem, it would appear that our 1ers (of similar age) seem to be having this issue I wonder if it's a manufacturing fault of sorts for our particular yr car.

I hope it doesn't cost too much to get sorted on this side of the world. :shock:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Nolz good to see you're still around.

My 11/04 build 120i hasn't had this fault. Fingers crossed it doesn't.

Hope you guys get the problem sorted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anthony, long time no see mate. I'm only checking in because I'm trying to trouble shoot this fault for the fella that's just bought my car. Not at all my fault that it's shown up the week he took it away however he's a nice kid and I'm trying to get some answers for him.

Good to see you're still around also :)

EDIT

ps....congrats on teh new ride mate!!!! You lucky bugger, I needed a turbo fix also however i've gone with an FG XR6T ute :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is a 11/04 also, so not even a year out of warranty either, that never really registered with me until Ikki said that about his, its going in on Wednesday so if it is a major problem as expected I'm pushing for a good will fix as well……in fact the girl mentioned it on the phone this morning without me having to so that is positive I suppose?!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Nolz, it's a bit like a reunion though I still lurk around and post occasionally.

They replaced it with a modified part, so make what you will of that. I don't think that there should be a problem getting goodwill on this one, BMW came back really quickly in my case and I didn't ask for it either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well guys, got my car back today, so for those interested.......

the ABS module was gone, guy quoted me 1300 plus labour, plus my service which was due anyway.....but said he had put in a goodwill request to BMW. Called me back later to say BMW had agreed to pay 100% parts and labour so happy days, :p had a few service items to pay for, spark plugs, brake fluid etc and had to pay the diagnostic check so a total bill of £204 including VAT. very happy considering I was looking at around £1800 at one point.

My faith has been restored, :) got a first class service from the staff always keeping me informed. Big thumbs up for me.........but beware this is a common fault and goodwills are only done for around 15 months after warranty........

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was told (several times) that as I had contributed something (part of the labour) to the repair I would get a 2 year warranty on the part. They said that if it had been 100% paid by BMW, I would not get a warranty on the part. It's worth checking where you are on this. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah Ikki I got the 2 year warranty, because I paid for the set up of the diagnostic he said that was contributing to cost of the repair so I would get the warranty, I've got the full breakdown invoice for the full precedure too so it should be cool........

just happy its resolved now..... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me this week. My car is 3 years old and BMW quoted over £1000 to repair. Needless to say it failed its MOT as a result altho like another reader, I find no difference in the handling of the car. BMW say they will try and get the part at a reduced price and let me know next week. The only reason I traded my faithful old Corsa for this BMW was because I thought I was getting a reliable, cost effective car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well again with your car being only 3 years old they will hopefully pay the majority of the cost, but if they don't, make it clear you were basically expecting that, from what i've heard this week some dealers need more "persuasion" than others ..........good luck hope you get sorted soon!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
debi2002, I have to say that the ecu and the breather pipe are the ONLY faults that I have had in three and a half years. These two failures are not down to unreliability, so I think that you made a valid decision (assuming that you get the ecu fixed with goodwill of course).

·
Registered
12 Posts
This happened on my 120i and i decided to just punt it and px it for something else, luckly the guy who valued it never turned it on so was unaware of the light on the dash and gave me top book price for it.
It seems that there is one born every min.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Dynamic Stability Control warning light
Just came up on my 2005 diesel, today....24/11/08
what sort of price is this going to cost if this is the problem, cars booked in to dealer 27/11/08 barons farnborough!
:?:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.