Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I decided to try the Droid UK MMI box in my F20 for CarPlay. It's a 2019 F20 118i with the basic standard nav, although I have fitted the larger screen and larger iDrive wheel so it resembles Pro Nav.

Anyway, fit the MMI box the other day. Installation isn't very difficult, just need to pull some trim off and unscrew some bits, remove some cables, attach other cables, find space for the MMI box and wifi antenna, close it back up.

Is it any good then? Yes and no, let me explain...

1. My car does not have AUX. The MMI unit relies on "AUX" being selected as an audio output on your car, otherwise you won't hear anything. At the advice of Droid UK, I coded AUX to my car so that I could select it as a sound device. Whilst my coding worked as I can indeed select AUX, the audio does not work. I can hear it incredibly faintly at maximum volume. This means that I need to use the included USB to AUX adapter and somehow wire it so that it's plugged into the single USB port in the cars armrest; this does work but it's certainly not ideal.

2. My car doesn't have a touch screen display, although BMW have sold many cars with CarPlay and no touch screen display, in this case certain apps are not playing nicely. For example, WhatsApp displays buttons that cannot be selected using the iDrive wheel, the same goes for the Telegram App.

3. CarPlay does not recognise any buttons other than the iDrive wheel, the back button and the steering wheel scroller. This means that you cannot use the menu button to go all the way back from an app to the CarPlay home screen, instead having to press the back button many many times. It also means that you cannot use buttons like Nav or Media to open Waze or Spotify, as they do nothing inside CarPlay.

On the up side, the MMI box is responsive and CarPlay boots pretty quickly!

Does anyone know a good solution to the audio issue that I'm facing? It's not ideal to have to use the USB to AUX adapter as I only have one USB port in the car which is in the centre armrest.

I'm planning to make a video reviewing the unit at some point also, as I don't think there's enough information online about these units. Don't be fooled though, this isn't some special MMI box made by Droid UK. Droid UK have sourced this box from China and are reselling it like all other MMI sellers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really need to take this up with the suppliers. Doesn't matter if the products are from China. If they are sold by a UK company then they should support it.
I have of course done this. So far, Droid UK have been unable to provide me with any solutions to any of these issues. Obviously this is because they don't actually manufacture the boxes and have no real way of fixing any problems with them, they are merely a re-seller pretending not to be a reseller.

I will give them ample time to come back to me with any helpful guidance. I fully expect that they will be unable to fix any of these issues and I think it is important that people are aware of the shortcomings of such a product before they spend their money.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have of course done this. So far, Droid UK have been unable to provide me with any solutions to any of these issues. Obviously this is because they don't actually manufacture the boxes and have no real way of fixing any problems with them, they are merely a re-seller pretending not to be a reseller.

I will give them ample time to come back to me with any helpful guidance. I fully expect that they will be unable to fix any of these issues and I think it is important that people are aware of the shortcomings of such a product before they spend their money.
Then you know your only course of action. Report to Trading Sandards - they won't give a toss - so raise a small claims court for what you paid plus damages.Unless the company have a very strong defence (which they don't) then you will at least get your money back and enought to actually get it sorted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There's this behemoth of a thread on Bimmerpost (it's in the 3-series section but for the MMI boxes they're one and the same pretty much)

You might have to spend the next 6 weeks looking through it, it's kicking on for 500 pages or so, but there might be the odd nugget of info in there which could help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just seen your post and add my experience in, if that's ok, I've just bought a box from Droid UK last week also. I fitted it on Friday and it works well in my 2015 pre-LCI. Luckily my sound is working okay, by selecting aux as the source in iDrive. Don't forget, you can adjust the aux input volume level in the iDrive settings too. Seems to go from 1 to 20 in mine, I've set it at 12, don't want to set it too high. My question is that I'm worried about the temperature of the box and iDrive headunit since I installed it. When I first installed it, I left the bottom panel of the dash off, where you could see the box under the headunit. I noticed that the MMI box would get extremely hot to the touch, not sure if that's normal. Hopefully I've enough room left around it. Just wondering if you have experienced this too?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts