Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to this forum so apologies if this has already been discussed, i am picking up a 55 plate 120 sport on tuesday, i wanted to put a set of 18 inch alloys on without run flat tyres, as there is no room in the boot for a space saver what troubles am i getting myself into? i have been told some people carry tyre foam in an emergency, please advice.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Welcome to the forum badmash.

Most on here that have switched to non-runfalts have bought the BMW mobility kit which will be OK for a general puncture, not sure if you have a blow out though!?

Maybe some others on here can advise........

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can buy a can of Holt's Tyre Weld from Halfords for about £8, but like many others on here I've bought a BMW mobilty kit for £75 which has a sealant but also a compressor and it is all packaged neatly in a BMW badged carry case. The extra expense will be worth it come selling on time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys

im picking up the vehicle next week, i was naive to this and didnt realise the situation with run flats until i got home and did some general research, where can i pick up the BMW mobility kit and compressor from? also is it true that there isnt a jack and brace with the 1 series? how has this affected people.

im sorry for asking so many questions but i really am not very technical and having a small child in the back of the car i want to make sure ive covered everything.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Badmash said:
Thanks for the reply guys

im picking up the vehicle next week, i was naive to this and didnt realise the situation with run flats until i got home and did some general research, where can i pick up the BMW mobility kit and compressor from? also is it true that there isnt a jack and brace with the 1 series? how has this affected people.

im sorry for asking so many questions but i really am not very technical and having a small child in the back of the car i want to make sure ive covered everything.
Don't apologise for asking questions, thats what this forum is for! :wink:

You can order the Mobility kit from your local dealer, not sure of the part number though! :?

There is no jack or brace, as this is all that is in the tool kit........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks tminal

i feel a little uneasy about driving without a spare, jack and brace, maybe its because its been the only way i knew. im going to pick up a mobility kit from local dealer today and im going to try and get a jack and brace for long journeys, final question does a jack from the 3 or series fit?

really appreciate the advice people.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi

I carry a full size steel spare wheel in the boot (strapped down) as it's not offen i need the space & also i got a jack thrown in when i bought it. Ok' it was a 5 series jack but it was free (& more than big enough).

I've have stuck with my runflats but i only have 16"'s. I bought the steel spare for £50 from a dealer for my E46 compact as i don't like the idea of a space saver wheel. So I now have it in my 120d, so then i don't have to wreck a runflat running on it flat.

Paul
:bounce:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers paul

what size is your steel wheel and how have you fastened it down? i went to the dealers today to look at the boot it looks big enough for a spare and jack, dosnt leave much room but i dont need that much anyway.

im changing the 16 inch run flats to 18 inch wheels with no run flats, going to keep all the original wheels for when i sell the vehicle and ill probably keep one of them in the boot for emergencies, im pretty sure theres room for an 18inch wheel there incase i need to take it off etc. probably alsdo going to get the M Mobility kit.

so a 5 series jack and brace should be ok for my car? is a space saver for a e46 compatible?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi

I got my load strap from a local car accessorie shop for about £7 (it's the kind with a ratchet on like what trucks use but smaller). One is more than long enough just a bit tricky to thread though. I got the optional extra tie down points too with my car as the you only get two with it.

The spare is a 16" & I put a older tyre on it when i changed my tyres in the past (or you could just buy a cheap budget tyre, which will get you a lot further than a wheel full of foam. I would think a e46 space saver will work too but might not work out much cheaper to buy from new over a 16" spare. May be try a breakers for a odd steel wheel off a e46 or e87 etc (the alloys weigh too much).

The steel wheel & tyre weighs in at 2.5 stones, were as a 16" alloy with a runflat weighs 3.5 stones.

I know the 5 series jack fits fine & I would guess a brace would be the same size too.

Paul
:bounce:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought a spacesaver from an e46 and the toolkit from a 5er in the polystyrene carrier.
Had to butcher the poly a bit to make it sit down in the e46 wheel (it is still a bit proud), just need to make a false boot floor now :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the part number for Mobility Kit in case someone is interested:

"PN72486 UG32 1 'E87 5 Doors 118d ECE R N 71_0434 Tyre Mobility Set"

·
Registered
82 Posts
Picking up this thread one of you said a spacesaver from an E46 (dont know what that is as Im new to BMW) think its a 3 series though, so this would fit a series 1 is that correct?

I have a new 118D 2009 and would like to obtain a spacesaver off ebay or somewhere and have seen E46 16" spacesavers on ebay but not sure if they would fit, can anyone advise. Like someone said I would only take it for the longer journeys. I dont have runflats but do have the foam and compressor but would feel better with a spacesaver on board.
There must be jacking points on the car but havent got that far yet

·
Registered
219 Posts
E46 (old 3'er) jack and space saver wheel will fit the 1

·
Registered
332 Posts
nrg said:
Picking up this thread one of you said a spacesaver from an E46 (dont know what that is as Im new to BMW) think its a 3 series though, so this would fit a series 1 is that correct?

I have a new 118D 2009 and would like to obtain a spacesaver off ebay or somewhere and have seen E46 16" spacesavers on ebay but not sure if they would fit, can anyone advise. Like someone said I would only take it for the longer journeys. I dont have runflats but do have the foam and compressor but would feel better with a spacesaver on board.
There must be jacking points on the car but havent got that far yet

There are jacking points on the car, but they seemed designed for a specific BMW jack. I damaged mine when I used a trolley jack on them.

Does the BMW mobility kit fit under the boot floor of the 1er? Has anyone got a photo of it?

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Does the BMW mobility kit fit under the boot floor of the 1er? Has anyone got a photo of it?
I put mine on the floor behind the passenger seat. My baby sits in the baby seat in the back and so doesn't need the foot space.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's interesting because I asked the service department at my dealer, who in turn asked BMW, if a 16" would fit a 123d. The response was "it should but best to check". Not exactly helpful. I have asked the dealer to do this, as they have a 123d in stock, but after waiting for two weeks they still haven't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.