Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just installed a VSRF downpipe onto my m140i and there is a small liquid leak from where the DP meets the midpipe, I have the midpipe clamp tightened as much as possible yet there is this liquid leak, it drips from cold start but seems to stop once idle but when revved it leaks again, any ideas on this, is the clamp still not tight enough or something else, I haven't seen anyone need to do anything other than swap out the original DP to the new one, I didn't need a pipe expander though like a few people I've seen needed?

This is the leak, isn't immediate following a cold start, takes a few secs.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Condensation? Water ingress whilst cleaning? When I cut off my OEM back box to fit an MPE there was water sloshing around in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Condensation? Water ingress whilst cleaning? When I cut off my OEM back box to fit an MPE there was water sloshing around in it.
Possibly, would have to take the exhaust off to really confirm that. I never did look at the connection between the DP and midpipe before switching them out so this could have been occurring on the stock DP and I'd not have known.

I would have expected some kind of gasket or something so it wasn't simply relying on the clamp for a good seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like it can be pushed over by another inch although I could be wrong, it should not be leaking at all or have any water sloshing out. Use a 13mm socket an extension, loosen (but don't take off) the two 13mm nuts on each side of the rear back box, grab hold of both exhaust tips and wiggle the exhaust whilst pushing it in as much as you can. No jack or axle stands needed. Might be helpful to mark your downpipe to see if it has helped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like it can be pushed over by another inch although I could be wrong, it should not be leaking at all or have any water sloshing out. Use a 13mm socket an extension, loosen (but don't take off) the two 13mm nuts on each side of the rear back box, grab hold of both exhaust tips and wiggle the exhaust whilst pushing it in as much as you can. No jack or axle stands needed. Might be helpful to mark your downpipe to see if it has helped.
I'll give this a try before taking the whole thing off, I did remove the midpipe bolt and pulled that back to make room for the DP to come out but I though I'd moved it all the way back, looks that way judging by the bold on the bracket but can't hurt to try this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it’s 47mm into the midpipe and that looks to be about the same depth if not a mm or two more as the stock DP

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've put it back in, could not get it any further in than the mark I'd made on it, but this time I tightened the living **** out of it, tighter than before - I'd say I could go even tighter still but I tested and there was no liquid leak, that being said this was quite close to the last time I tested and so I'll leave it for a couple hours and test again to see if that has sorted it.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
When I put my MPE on, I fitted it dry to the clamp. After my smash and a new MPE, BMW have done it properly with fire gum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well as is often the case the simplest solution is often the right one, as mentioned above tightened it much tighter than before and even tighter than stock and it hasn't leaked since, tried it last night and this morning and it's solid. If I'm doing anything else to the exhaust, like removing the resonators on the midpipe I'll stick some fire gum on it when removing as suggested.

·
Registered
461 Posts
When I fetter my 200 cel I recall this join needing to be done up being extremely tight to stop this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts