Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car in earlier this week to get the rocker cover gasket replaced, decided to get an oil change done at the same time, it's done about 8,000 miles since the last change, when i went to pick it up the guy showed me the oil filter which was pretty dirty but also starting to suck in, i reckon another couple of thousand miles and oil starvation would have been a big problem, even 10,000 seems too long for these engines.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Interesting. What do you mean by suck in? As in bits of paper disintegrate and be ingested?

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
I tend to do mine every 5,000 miles and even then, the oil comes out dirty every time. I think I'm coming to about 4500 since my last change and it's already gotten slightly cluttery.

Probably more of a concern for those who are planning on keeping long-term.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How can dirty oil cause a sucking effect, like a vacuum? And what is "cluttery" oil?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had a filter collapse like that shortly after it'd been serviced with OEM parts but I could hear a high pitch whine when the engine was hot so it was changed pretty quickly. The garage had never seen it happen before but seems to be common enough when you search on the n5x

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. What do you mean by suck in? As in bits of paper disintegrate and be ingested?
Imagine if you pushed on the top of the filter and it began to distort and the pleats are pushed together, like that, almost like it was starting to collapse, i knew the B58 suffered with filter problems, but didn't know about the N55.

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
How can dirty oil cause a sucking effect, like a vacuum? And what is "cluttery" oil?
Sorry, engine is cluttery not the oil 😂

It's fairly normal for an engine to get noisier when the oil needs to be changed, as it indicates that the moving components of the engine are not as well lubricated as perhaps they should be due to the particles carried in the oil and thus around the engine.

The recommendation for the B38 118i I have is BMW-branded (which is actually Shell-made) 0W30 oil, which means it's quite thin and will thus carry particles around a little bit more. Using this recommended oil creates further need for a frequent oil change, whereas one could get away with changing a 5W30 slightly less frequently as it is more viscous.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Imagine if you pushed on the top of the filter and it began to distort and the pleats are pushed together, like that, almost like it was starting to collapse, i knew the B58 suffered with filter problems, but didn't know about the N55.
The B58 filter has no issues with collapsing in service, the only issue is when removal of the filter is attempted and due to stiction on the O-rings the filter tears. BMW replace the whole filter and filter housing if this happens

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The B58 filter has no issues with collapsing in service, the only issue is when removal of the filter is attempted and due to stiction on the O-rings the filter tears. BMW replace the whole filter and filter housing if this happens
Yes sorry i didnt mean the B58 has collapse issues, it's removal issues, but the mechanic who did mine wasn't surprised at the state of the filter and said he has seen a few like that, didn't realise it was an issue in the N55.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've been on this and the US forum more than 5 years and definitely, the consensus is to change your oil and filter every 10,000 miles. If you have a BMW service package, and the scheduled service isn't due for some time, then take it to an independent and tell them not to update the service computer log and always use a BMW original part filter. Then the BMW mechanic won't see it's a non-BMW part, which might be an issue if there's a problem and it's under warranty, a service package, or an extended warranty. I also specify to my independent to use BMW original oil as well, but that's up to you.

And yes, the N55 oil filter design makes changing filters prone to filter breakup if you or the mechanic are careless. So always take extra care if DIY, or emphasise the issue to an independent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts