Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have or had dogs and introduced a new born into the house?

We have a 4 week old and our 4 year old cockapoo is not keen? My wife says it is because of me and the relationship i have with the dog. It is obviously jealous.

·
Super Moderator
65,175 Posts
My friend has an aggressive ccckapoo, it's a very territorial biter.

A tired dog is generally a happy/docile dog, so you could try keeping him mentally and physically occupied, see if that helps?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We send her to doggy day care everyday and she is pretty much out and about whilst there in fields/on walks and always comes back tired.

We have reduced it since to 3 days a week. She is very territorial with her toys and I made the mistake of putting the baby on a tummy mat then squeaked one of the toys on it, sure to say the dog barked its head off in the baby face as if to say that's mine.

She has been fine for the last 2 weeks though but you still get the odd side eye when she gets uncomfortable. I don't doubt as baby gets older she will be fine, its just initially making sure we are doing what we can to make her comfortable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
May be worth getting a qualified behaviourist involved - quite often the good ones will do home visits so that they can see what the situation is like. They may recommend a vet check to give a clean bill of health too, and make sure there aren't any physical sources of pain or discomfort.

If the dog had routines before, try as best to stick to them.

Probably goes without saying. Do not leave the dog unsupervised with the baby - it only takes a second for something to go wrong. By all means, try to get them used to each other, but the best way to avoid a situation occurring is to not allow the opportunity.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We send her to doggy day care everyday and she is pretty much out and about whilst there in fields/on walks and always comes back tired.

We have reduced it since to 3 days a week. She is very territorial with her toys and I made the mistake of putting the baby on a tummy mat then squeaked one of the toys on it, sure to say the dog barked its head off in the baby face as if to say that's mine.

She has been fine for the last 2 weeks though but you still get the odd side eye when she gets uncomfortable. I don't doubt as baby gets older she will be fine, its just initially making sure we are doing what we can to make her comfortable.
You have answered your own questions. You have an incredibly devoted and attention seeking dog. Give her more attention than you have before (or your newborn at this time) and she will become much less jealous. Let her know she is still special to you ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts