Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a little play around, but not a huge fan of the digital dash, not very intuitive or adaptable as far as I can see. My specific question was whether you can display what gear you are in? I used this a lot on my previous DSG, but finding it frustrating using the paddles and not being able to see what gear I’m in. Probably a stupid question so be kind!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Apart from the small readout at the bottom right, you can also toggle the top button on the end of the indicator stalk which will show you.
It changes the right side of the display.
Assuming that’s what you’re meaning.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you push the gear stick to the left (sports plus effectively) and then toggle the B/C button on the left indicator stick it shows S1/2 or whatever gear you are in in the centre of the Rev/ Speedo, whichever is on the right hand side of the screen 🤣
Just won’t show you when you are in normal automatic mode, only manual

·
Registered
720 Posts
As with other BMW's does the 'sports mode effectively' disable DSC with the F40?
All that pushing the gearstick to the left does is to place the gearbox in manual mode, no other settings are changed from sports mode..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve had a little play around, but not a huge fan of the digital dash, not very intuitive or adaptable as far as I can see. My specific question was whether you can display what gear you are in? I used this a lot on my previous DSG, but finding it frustrating using the paddles and not being able to see what gear I’m in. Probably a stupid question so be kind!
Not a stupid question, but be kind (to me) when I reflect on my first few cars.
Didn't have a tacho. Listened to the pitch of the motor.
Didn't have a gear display. Counted it in my head.
Still do that today, despite having a tacho and a gear selection display. Old school, I guess. Also not a fan of digital gauges. Steam Punk all the way :cool:.

·
Registered
335 Posts
As with other BMW's does the 'sports mode effectively' disable DSC with the F40?
All that pushing the gearstick to the left does is to place the gearbox in manual mode, no other settings are changed from sports mode..
Sports mode doesn’t disable DSC as far as I’m aware, you have a separate button for that. Pushing the gear stick to the left puts the gearbox into “sport”, hence the change from M1/2/3 etc in the tacho to S1/2/3. It holds the gears for longer, the changes are more aggressive with a programmed jolt for the sensation of an aggressive gear shift. I personally feel sports mode + gear stick to the left is effectively like a sports plus mode. It is more aggressive for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts