Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Quite a longish read so bear with it.....

Picked an m135i x drive up a week last Tuesday. It was couple of years old but told to be immaculate. I took it with a pinch of salt as I couldn't physically see it but videos etc. sufficed and I did a deal, even paying extra for some m performance parts to be added (Spoiler, skirts, splitters, grills, canards etc.).

Anyway, collection day comes and I notice some residue on the spoiler immediately and near the splitter so they go away and get someone over to buff/clean but the car looked great.

So I take the salesman to the petrol station as I had a long drive home and needed to be back for kids - I get about an hour into the drive after pottering in traffic and realise the tracking's completely out and the car pulls a lot to left! (5th BMW and about car 60 so I knew it wasn't right). Ring the dealership and explain and they say to get it booked in. So lots of calls and drive later I booked into a local dealer for Friday under the premise the first dealer will pay.

Day 2 - I also noticed that the seat wouldn't click in and thought id set it between catches however when reversing the driver's seat shifts out of position and then back in. Broken seat base.

The car is into the local BMW dealer Friday and they check the seat, yes needs a new base, and tracking's out so will do 4 wheel alignment (I should add I was booked elsewhere but the machine was broken so had to move to another dealer without courtesy car = hassle). Anyway, I get an email with a ''health check'' and it comes back saying all pads are down at 40% and 3 tyres have pressure cracks on the inners with the advice to change them!!

Now, I bought the car on the basis that it had new pads and have since been shown the invoice from them claiming to have done the pads.

I ring the dealer up and tell them to which I have had nothing but hassle ringing, chasing, and trying to get these things sorted for over a week. Constant hassle even to the point that I needed to book the car back into a local dealer to have another go at the tracking as its still not right and order the seat base as it's on back order - except they wouldn't book me in because the original dealer still hadn't paid them for the tracking!!!

Eventually, after a ridiculous amount of calls and emails, they agree to fit all new pads and replace the 3 tyres ..... yet they are out of stock until a few week's time.

Eventually, they relent and order a different brand to replace 4 tyres so they match along with new pads and the tracking, plus the seat base.

Just to say I knew the tyres were around 5/6mm.

At this point, I decided to give the car a complete once over and then to add insult to injury found clamp indents on the white part of the side skirt identical on each side ...... ffs. So now body damage under the door hence I couldn't see/notice unless I looked.

I should have gone round with a toothcomb on pick up but I didn't think to as I was rushing and excited plus the residue issue meant I was distracted.

All in all a shambles of an experience so far BUT they are sorting everything out which is good.

My question now is - What would you do, or expect in way of making this up to me? They said we will make it up to you what do you think is fair and what would you like - caveat they will do this once the car is sorted.

I have no idea what to say id like or for them to do.

Answers on a postcard ....

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Unless you want or need some more M Performance parts I'd go for some free servicing too or maybe another 12 months on the warranty (if thats possible) or both.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Agree, worth speaking to customer services before accepting or agreeing to anything. Is dealer near you on side ie will confirm if anything else needs doing while with them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree, worth speaking to customer services before accepting or agreeing to anything. Is dealer near you on side ie will confirm if anything else needs doing while with them?
Yes my local williams dealer is being fine. To be fair the original dealer (not williams) has been immensely frustrating but has agreed to get the tyres/pads etc sorted and as of an hour ago its booked in on friday. I just need to then have the bodyshop look at the damage and then get them to send a quote to original dealer to sort, and re book in. Once this is done i think i will be asking for some form of compensation as a few have suggested.

Note - i called OD again today to update them and shock horror no ones available to speak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update for those interested -

Took the williams lads on a test drive and showed them how bad the tracking is. Car was in friday and they called late on to say it wont be ready until monday/tuesday as the seat base is proving to be a pig of a job to fit. So im in a courtesy x1 until its done.

4 tyres fitted. Brake pads not fitted yet apparently (confuses me that as surely you would do the pads whilst the wheels are off and not do the tyres then put the wheels back on!?!?)

Once seats finally done and then pads they will be looking at the tracking. Then it can go to the body shop for a quote.

Kept original dealer up to date and inbetween this i had a customer care email asking for feedback ....... i spoke to the sales guy and said i will hold off until its all sorted before i leave my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

Took the williams lads on a test drive and showed them how bad the tracking is. Car was in friday and they called late on to say it wont be ready until monday/tuesday as the seat base is proving to be a pig of a job to fit. So im in a courtesy x1 until its done.

4 tyres fitted. Brake pads not fitted yet apparently (confuses me that as surely you would do the pads whilst the wheels are off and not do the tyres then put the wheels back on!?!?)

Once seats finally done and then pads they will be looking at the tracking. Then it can go to the body shop for a quote.

Kept original dealer up to date and inbetween this i had a customer care email asking for feedback ....... i spoke to the sales guy and said i will hold off until its all sorted before i leave my thoughts.
They are desperate for positve feedback, guessing negative feedback leads to a stewards enquiry by BMW UK.

Reactions: Bubbs80

·
Registered
386 Posts

keep us posted how you get on! Very frustrating experience. Any other cars out there within your budget? If they don’t fix it, then you might want to just reject the car

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the cars been sorted by Williams. Tyres all on, brakes done, seat done, tracking seems o.k.

Next issue is the bodywork - Williams sent a quote for 2.5k to the dealer to which they said a categorical get f***ed. Whilst saying they would likely send the same the other way but its a £500 job max.

He then said look get it done anywhere you want up to a max £500 and we will pay. So now i need to find bodyshop quotes before i go away next Wednesday.

I said i want my deposit back as recompense for the hassle, its only £500, and the sales manager said he will speak to people internally and ring me back yesterday. Of course they didnt. I chased them and nothing. Called again today and hes on annual leave until 2nd August :mad:

So ive said get this escalated and someone call me back.

Think the damage is actually when its been on the lifts and they keep opening the doors ffs

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know it's probably a bit too late now but In my opinion you should have rejected the car at the outset - I would have. In summary you have been supplied with a car that needed three tyres, brake pads, a broken seat, and the tracking out by a considerable margin by the sound of it. Hardly "BMW standard" by any stretch of the imagination. I would also have seriously questioned it's provenance what with the tracking issue and the broken seat.

May I also write, and please read this as being advice with your best interest in mind for the future, never ever accept a car without first inspecting it and taking it for a test drive. But of course with hindsight, you know that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I’d second what @Redfazer said. They seem to be taking you for a ride and rather than them fixing issues, you’re going about doing so. Think it’s time to also submit a complaint to BMW and see what comes out of it. For the number of problems you’re experiencing you should be more than compensated for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it's probably a bit too late now but In my opinion you should have rejected the car at the outset - I would have. In summary you have been supplied with a car that needed three tyres, brake pads, a broken seat, and the tracking out by a considerable margin by the sound of it. Hardly "BMW standard" by any stretch of the imagination. I would also have seriously questioned it's provenance what with the tracking issue and the broken seat.

May I also write, and please read this as being advice with your best interest in mind for the future, never ever accept a car without first inspecting it and taking it for a test drive. But of course with hindsight, you know that.
totally with you. But i am not remotely local to the dealer and when i got there i did inspect it as best as i could.

But i couldnt see the pressure cracks on the inners, didnt see the brake pads as invoice said new, seat i only noticed on way home as it was intermkittent clicking and the tracking was at 50+ mph so as i test drove nearby for fuel all seemed well.

Frustrating beyond belief.

Anyway seesm the OG Dealer will be doing body work having spoken to them so thats one issue sort of dealt with i a few weeks when im back from holiday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts