Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I would be grateful for any advice / enlightenment.

I ordered a118i from the dealer at the end of March and was told delivery would be June / July. A few days later the dealer gave me the 7 digit order number.

I have been tracking the vehicle build since then and was advised by Genius that the build week would be w/c 20 June. The dealer also advised me later that the car was scheduled to be built in June.

Having contacted Genius on a regular basis the car progressed as expected to status 150 - scheduled for production week commencing 20 June. It stood at status 150 until last Wednesday when it was on the move to port of exit and today I was told it was waiting for shipping.

For some reason it went from 150 to on way to port of exit without going through the various building codes, but I expect that production happens so quickly that perhaps the system can’t quite keep up.

On the same day that Genius told me the car was on its way to port of exit the dealer called me - but rather than confirming that car had been built and discussing delivery he informed me that production had slipped and that now we were looking at early September. He said that Genius must be wrong and they were independent of BMW (true but that’s like a McDonald’s saying they aren’t really a Mc Donald’s!)

I contacted Genius today and told by them that vehicle is awaiting shipping. Having explained the discrepancy between dealer and Genius, Genius told me that the car in question was a 118i but in a different colour and not the same spec as ordered - it was ordered by the same dealer but the customer name was different.

So the BMW dealer must have a wrong order number by mistake (possible, although unlikely in my view), especially as he had mentioned June as production month and other cars according to this forum scheduled for June build have progressed.

I may be sceptical but is it possible there may be another reason - eg dealer gave my build slot to someone else (same vehicle but changed colour etc before car was locked for production?).

Has someone else had the same issue?
(What is odd is that if there was a discrepancy between dealer and Genius that he didn’t argue but just said it must be a mistake - no effort to try and understand why. You would have expected him to doublecheck the order number with me / but he didn’t.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it as a choice of believing Genius or believing the dealer with access to BMW‘s systems, m choice of who to believe wouldn’t be Genius.
Could argue that actually the Genius could be more honest 😉

1 - 3 of 3 Posts